XD Forum > General Discussion > General Firearm Forum > The Wife is a new gun owner!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Colt45

Liked 118 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default The Wife is a new gun owner!

Mrs. Colt has been up in arms (pun intended) over the last few weeks on Facebook and at work about gun control We have been married almost 30 years and she's bought guns for me, but never really cared to go shooting or own a firearm, until yesterday. Well 1st off on a hoilday the LGS was slammed packed and we we over to look at something small that she can handle ( she doesn't have the hand strenght to rack any of the many autos I have) well there was a S&W Airlight 38spl 5 shot with Crimson Trace laser grips the cleck gave her 1st and it was love at 1st grasp. the older lady next to us was buying a S&W LadySmith in .357mag and let the wife try it, to heavy, she told me. She got 2 boxes of ammo (2 box limit) and a 10 free range trip ticket with it. Now to top off everything I bought a new Leee reloading kit, what better way to clelebrate "Dear Leader's" 2nd iinauguration than buy a new gun, ammo and reloading kit!
The clerk told us 38/357 small revolvers were flying off the self as fast as AR's lately.

Well I been long winded enough, so here's a pic
S&W 642-1 38SPL AIRWEIGHT WITH CRIMSON TRACE LASER GRIPS

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2533 Times on 1722 Posts
Likes Given: 1927

Nice choice.

Mrs 3T has the same one in her collection. She likes the CT that it comes with. She made sure I bought some +P's and Glasers for it.

NSDQ

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

People Like This 
Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1246 Times on 912 Posts
Likes Given: 2047

Gotta love a good wheel gun...!!

Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

I think Mrs Colt will like this gun and it is lightweight. Good choice !!
Mrs 3T carries her's in a shoulder gun bag that looks like a regular woman's shoulder bag or an Allen beltslide holster..

NSDQ

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
Colt45

My wife is petite and the revolver is only 15ozs how is the recoil with standard pressure ammo? She's going to get very comfortable with NON +P ammo 1st as I want her WANTING her to go to the range, not hating recoil. SD Ammo recommendations guys.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

My wife is 5 ft nothing and weighs about 128. She has a lot of experience shooting in the military and as a customs agent. If your wife doesn't have shooting experience start her out with light loads to get used to it. It does have some recoil because of it's weight and configuration.

Remington UMC 125 gr is a good start.

Glaser has an 80 gr rd, and it's a good home defense rd.

NSDQ

Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by threetango; 01-22-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Colt45 Likes This 
Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #7
Colt45

Thanks 3T, with ammo the way it is................................?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #8
RibEye
Steak Medium Rare
XD_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 371 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 934

love the .38 , like a pitbull

Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
glock26USMC
Administrator
XD_ADMIN.png

Liked 656 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Very nice, and Congrats

Old 01-30-2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Colt45

Took Mrs. Colt to the range where she bought the S&W 38spl yesterday. It's 6 lanes and only 15
yards long plus busy for a Tuesday. It's been about 15 years since shes fired a weapon but she did pretty good all things considered. We had an instructor in lane to our left running some guards thru their quals and hot brass was flying over the top and pelting both of us which really was a major distraction + the range safety glasses were scratched all to hell,rectified that issue today with new pair.

She started off using the laser which turned out, not a good idea, and jerking some shots. With the laser off she was getting the hand grip and trigger control down better and at least keeping all the shots on the paper. The Airweight is a handful @15ozs & LOUD but she handled the recoil pretty well, I tried about 10 shots and hope the trigger will smooth up after some use. To be honest I've seen much better triggers for a S&W. When we got home she was very talkative about guns and wants to try my Kel-Tec P-11 9mm about same size and weight + she can rack the slide back? Then I made the big mistake, I put the Browning Hi Power in her hands. I was told take this one NEXT range trip

Dr.FRANKENSTEINN HAS CREATED A MONSTER!

Top half 38spl holes, Did I forget to mention 1st range trip with the XD45 Tactical... flawless, botton 45acp holes.

People Like This