XD Forum > General Discussion > Gunsmithing > Duracoat, guncote?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
Teddybear

Liked 140 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Default Duracoat, guncote?

I've been reading up on these "coat" threads, and I cant decide if I want to try this or not. #1, I cant decide which one is the most durable. Also, can you coat stainless steel?

Can anyone help me.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2621 Times on 1783 Posts
Likes Given: 1990

Good question, bet Woody can answer it.

NSDQ

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1274 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 2073

DuraCoat is a hard polymer that’s self-lubricating to certain extent; extremely hard, oil, solvent, and wear resistant.

CeraKote is a dry film ceramic coating with special properties and attributes specially suited to tight tolerance applications and high-wear internal parts, such as bolts, bolt carriers, barrels and 1911 barrel bushings, etc. In addition when applied to certain internal firearms parts, it helps to reduce carbon fouling by resisting carbon adhesion, which promotes reduced maintenance, easier cleaning and improved operational reliability.

Gunkote is a durable, second-generation epoxy, thermo-set resin finish that will not break down, peel or dissolve. In fact, once it’s applied, the only way to remove it is to abrasive blast the part. It is resistant to all known gun solvents and thinners.

All three can be applied to stainless steel...

Last edited by SHOOTER13; 12-05-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Longslide10 Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
mdr6370
XD_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 228 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Looked into this myself. From what I read and (more importantly) saw, Ceracote looks to be the way to go.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
Robb

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I have used a LOT of Gunkote and its a good product. I have also used ceracoat--another good product. No matter which one you use, if you use your gun routinely you will eventually experience wear from use and holster wear. The nice part is not worrying about rust or corrosion on the coated surfaces.
One major thing to keep in mind is prep work. No matter which product you decide to use, all the work is in the preparation before you apply the coating.
I have had good experiences with gun kote on stainless, reg steel, and even some polymers using gental heat of course!!!

Good luck with your project!
Robb

Old 12-12-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
agalindo

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

I've used gunkote, duracoat, and molyresin. For metal surfaces I would go with gunkote or molyresin they are more durable. Robb is right 95% of good gun finish is prep work. Basting, sanding and finishing and parkerizing the metal depending on the metal type and tools at hand, degreasing before painting.