XD Forum > General Discussion > Gunsmithing > Firing pin retaining pin in slide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
Robb

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Default Firing pin retaining pin in slide

Hi all,

I thought I would share some info on the firing pin retention pin issue that I experienced.
I work at a local PD where XD service and tactical models are issued. We purchased them 2003/2004 so they have been in service for a while.
A couple of weeks ago I had a tactical model handed to me on the range that had the slide locked back and wouldn't move. I noticed under the slide a small peice of the firing pin rention pin had broken [the pin split from top to bottom and a small peice slide down through the bottom of the slide] and when fired locked the slide to the rear rendering the gun inop. This immediatley made me go over the entire fleet of guns to check these pins. If you are not faimilar the pin I am referring to is the pin that goes through the top of the slide straight down between the rear sight and ejection port.
This was the first and only incident like this we had experienced.
We routinely keep maintenance on them and recently have had a couple of recoil springs break. So we ordered all new recoil springs and FPRT's for replacement as a part of maintanance.
I replaced 30 of these pins and I experienced a couple of pins that had some bend to them but no other broken ones.
We are all back up and running and all is well with our XD's. We generally qualify once a year then shoot for training another three or four times during the year. I figure we have between 1000-2000 rounds through some of the more less used guns and more on others that do a little more training on thier own.

I just wanted to share the info before someone else experiences a inop gun due to a broken pin.

Thanks all, and be safe -- Merry Christmas and Happy New year!
Robb

Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #2
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2522 Times on 1713 Posts
Likes Given: 1916

Bought these a while back just in case.
They are reinforced and strong.
Comes 3 to a pack and well worth the money.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc;jsessionid=3916D0065715D224D4FC931FDA99 E3C6.qscstrfrnt04?productId=32&categoryId=4

NSDQ

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

Winger Likes This 
Old 12-24-2012, 08:40 PM   #3
911JB

Liked 351 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 331

Thanks for the heads up Robb.

JB