Hillwig Universal Site Pusher Giveaway!

XD Forum > General Discussion > Gunsmithing > Rear sight removal on an XD 45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #1
Longslide10

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Rear sight removal on an XD 45

Well, before I bring out the sledge hammer, does anyone have any tips for removing the rear sight on an XD45?

I found a tool, made for Springfields, that is marked right on the tool: "Not for removing extremely tight factory rear sights."

Any experience here?

Thanks,

longslide10

Old 12-28-2012, 01:21 AM   #2
Yooper

Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My XDM 45 shoots a little low and left I tried to tap it over a hair and quit as I was afraid of damaging the weapon. I to could use some advice.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 AM   #3
SeventiesWreckers
Load Bearing Wall

Liked 76 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
My XDM 45 shoots a little low and left I tried to tap it over a hair and quit as I was afraid of damaging the weapon. I to could use some advice.
The sights are probably okay. It's common to shoot in the 7-8 o'clock area of the target till you get more familiar with the trigger. I had some issues with both my G21, and XDM 4.5 .45. It didn't feel like I was pushing the trigger out sideways at the break, so I mounted a laser up, and dry fired it a few times. The little green dot don't lie, and confirmed that my trigger control needed some work, just as the trigger broke, the light would dip left/low. I just practiced dry firing, concentrating on a straight back pull, and my groups moved up & right after a few weeks. But until I got a better feel for the trigger, I did fudge a bit when shooting with friends, and shifted my point of aim high/right, just to put up a better target in mixed company. Using Kentucky windage to keep my pride intact worked okay till I got my trigger finger trained up.

Anytime I have a serious doubt about wether it's me or the pistol, I just find someone else to put a few rounds through it. Just don't tell them what it's doing before hand, so you can get a good read on how it performs for someone else.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Yooper

Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Seventies Wreckers
I have shot 1500 rounds or so and have realy consentrated on triger pull, however I will try the lazer. Sounds like a good method of training with out blasting through alot of ammo.

Thanks
Yooper

Old 01-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
97thSignalman

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

My gunsmith dogs a machinist's vice into the tee-slots on his milling machine table. He clamps the pistol-slide into the vise and hand cranks the table to drive the slide and sight against a stationary piece of stock clamped in the tool head. He can easily move the sight (front or rear) a desired number of thousadths or drive it out entirely to replace it.

That's one expensive sight tool but it works if you have a Bridgeport in your garage.

Last edited by 97thSignalman; 01-27-2013 at 02:50 AM.
CallMaker Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
Longslide10

I decided I could send it to AP&W & have them remove the sights & hard chrome the slide & barrel for what a good sight pusher would cost me.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
gormen

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Try this I just ordered one.

https://www.pistolgear.com/proddetail.php?prod=100-2526-B

Old 01-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #8
Longslide10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormen View Post
That's the most economical one I've seen!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
911JB

Liked 346 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by gormen View Post
Thanks for the link.

I just ordered one so when it gets in I will let you all know how it works. I also ordered a green hiViz front sight just to try iy out,hahaha. I hope it works as good as expected. I have turned down many sight replacement jobs on XD's because I did not have the press for it.

Crossing my fingers,

JB

Old 02-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #10
gormen

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Got my vice in today. The thing is built like a brick sh*t house. Remember that the directions on the site say to soak your site in a penitraiting oil for 24 hrs. behor trying.