XD Forum > General Discussion > Gunsmithing > XDs problem with round chambering.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #21
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1245 Times on 911 Posts
Likes Given: 2045

Welcome to the XD Forum tennhome !!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #22
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2483 Times on 1684 Posts
Likes Given: 1893

Here's what Springfield says about FTF and light strikes.

Seems like some of the guns are being shipped with too much lube.

As per Springfield Armory: Clean the weapon, including the striker chamber. Get all that gunk out. Then Lube the slide rails, a light coating of oil on the barrel, the top of the barrel, on the slide where the barrel touches the side wall of the slide, the feed ramp... basically any metal on metal friction points.
This should eliminate the problems. Don't lube the striker channel.

Try a thumbs forward grip and make sure that recoil isn't getting the best of you.

NSDQ

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #23
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by threetango View Post
Here's what Springfield says about FTF and light strikes.

Seems like some of the guns are being shipped with too much lube.

As per Springfield Armory: Clean the weapon, including the striker chamber. Get all that gunk out. Then Lube the slide rails, a light coating of oil on the barrel, the top of the barrel, on the slide where the barrel touches the side wall of the slide, the feed ramp... basically any metal on metal friction points.
This should eliminate the problems. Don't lube the striker channel.

Try a thumbs forward grip and make sure that recoil isn't getting the best of you.
Ok, I'll show my ignorance. When I strip the gun down for cleaning, I get 4 parts. Frame, slide, recoil spring and barrel. Striker channel is part of slide. It contains, I'm sure, a tiny but powerful spring. I have no interest in setting that free. (Fly away little spring, be free... Now where did that thing go? ...)
How do you clean out that channel without losing any essential parts?

Balota

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Semi-auto-Setback-Testing.html

Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 AM   #24
chuckusaret

Liked 164 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Nothing flys out when you "field strip" a XD. I suggest you google: XD field strip. They have some good videos on how to do it.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 AM   #25
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
Nothing flys out when you "field strip" a XD. I suggest you google: XD field strip. They have some good videos on how to do it.
Nothing flies out when I strip down to the four I mentioned. Just watched some Google. They're doing what I do every time when I clean my gun.

But I don't have any idea how to remove the striker (channel, oops wrong word) chamber ("Clean the weapon, including the striker chamber. Get all that gunk out.") for internal cleaning. Is that part of what you are calling field stripping? If so, how do you do it without losing the striker spring? If not, how do you "clean all the gunk out of there" without taking it apart?

Balota

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Last edited by Balota; 12-08-2012 at 01:43 AM.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 AM   #26
SeventiesWreckers
Load Bearing Wall

Liked 76 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
Nothing flies out when I strip down to the four I mentioned. Just watched some Google. They're doing what I do every time when I clean my gun.

But I don't have any idea how to remove the striker (channel, oops wrong word) chamber ("Clean the weapon, including the striker chamber. Get all that gunk out.") for internal cleaning. Is that part of what you are calling field stripping? If so, how do you do it without losing the striker spring? If not, how do you "clean all the gunk out of there" without taking it apart?
This is for the XD/XDM Not sure if your XDS is the same, but this might get you close.

PRP has some good vids on dis assembly & re-assembly. This one shows you how to take it all the way down to removing the striker itself. If you don't have the right size drift punch to take out the striker retaining pin, you might just take off the back cover plate, guide, & spring. Then try blowing out the channel with some non chlorinated brake cleaner, let it dry & reassemble. That might work good enough. PRP also sells a punch set for working on the XD's that pretty handy, or your LGS might have what you need.

Here's a link to the PRP vid. They have other good ones too that cover pretty much the whole gun.

Hope this helps

http://youtu.be/SXlc6fV4Z1w

Last edited by SeventiesWreckers; 12-08-2012 at 02:43 AM.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:30 AM   #27
Taxman
Taxman

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

After reading the forum, watching cleaning videos, talking to SA, and even doubting my grip (been shooting for 53 years), I finally returned gun to store I purchased it. Manager played with it for a few moments and confirmed problem was with weapon, not me. Back to SA in early May. Will update when it comes back.
Did Balota & BGrayny1 find solutions?

Old 06-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1245 Times on 911 Posts
Likes Given: 2045

Thread moved to the correct subforum: GUNSMITHING

Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 AM   #29
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
After reading the forum, watching cleaning videos, talking to SA, and even doubting my grip (been shooting for 53 years), I finally returned gun to store I purchased it. Manager played with it for a few moments and confirmed problem was with weapon, not me. Back to SA in early May. Will update when it comes back.
I'm doing fine with the simple field stripping process. I clean after every range visit or IDPA match. Generally about 100 rounds at a time.

I found a problem with my magazines feeding properly with TulAmmo. I traded my TulAmmo for some brass cased ammo at a gun show.

That was working pretty well, but now broke a striker retaining pin. Apparently that was normal wear and tear at around 4000 rounds. My gunsmith had the part and had me back up and running in a few minutes. Seems it's a well known issue. Guess I need to start counting rounds again...

Balota

threetango Likes This 
Old 10-27-2013, 12:58 PM   #30
Taxman
Taxman

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default XDs Factory replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post

This answer is overdue, but the recall debacle got in the way.

Anyway, to their credit, SA replaced my XDs in about 30 days of returning the old one. Apparently, my original one had an unrepairable defect.

Received the new one, took it to the range a few times, fell back in love, then it was recalled. My recalled weapon was received 9/5. Have not heard word on when it will be returned.