XD Forum > General Discussion > Ammo & Reloading > Ammo shortages

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
shooter55

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Ammo shortages

Any one have any Est. of how long the ammo shortage will last this time?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
warbird1

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Depends on how long the people out here keep buying everything that hits the shelves like it's not going to be made tomorrow. In short...hoarders are the cause...plain and simple. We the people will determine how long it lasts.

Proudly clinging to my guns and religion !!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1263 Times on 922 Posts
Likes Given: 2064

True...when the price of gasoline goes up to a point where people decide to cut back on driving

and stop buying gasoline at higher prices, the demand goes down, and so does the price. Ever wonder why

gas goes up at certain times every year...because "they" know they got us over a barrel... like during the start

of summer vacations and the Christmas holidays...when we just have to drive. Same with summer rentals down the shore...

prices drop dramatically in September, when most vacationers go back to work...kids to school. I love it down the shore

in Sept & Oct...

Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #4
bowserb

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My local Walmart stores have been short supplied since September, and mostly out of stock of .45acp and 5.56mm since the election. Since Sandy Hook, and the gun ban threats, we have a million or so more gun owners. When the weather gets warmer up north, they will be out shooting their new guns. Homeland Security has bought 1.2 billion handgun rounds. My point? There is a lot of demand for ammo.

Then, the future of guns and ammo in the U.S. is uncertain, so no ammo manufacturer is going to invest in plant expansion. One of the libs wants is to ban import of guns and ammo. Result? No change, or reduction, in supply.

My conclusion? We'll never see ammo at the prices of a year ago again. That was when I began stocking up, and almost every purchase I have made since then was at a higher price. Now I have 1,500 rounds of 45 and 2,500 of 5.56...and I'm hesitant to use it. I've thought about reloading, but the three ranges nearby do not allow picking up your brass--for safety reasons (wink wink).

Incredible as it seems, 2012 may end up being the "good old days" of ammo prices.

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

threetango Likes This 
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
Shooter
Administrator
XD_ADMIN.png

Liked 393 Times on 278 Posts
Likes Given: 425

My friend went to several local stores including a huge sporting store and .223, 5.56 and 7.28 is gone, empty shelves.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Colt45

Liked 118 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 106

223/5.56 is gone unless you have some type of trading post like I have here in Va (running about a $1 a round) and I just paid (at LGS) $25 a box for plinking 38spl with a limit of 2 boxes, but they had ammo. I'm GTG on 9mm, 45acp is so so, I do know where to get 9x18mak fairly cheap though.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
bowserb

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just received a notice that Natchez Shooter Supplies has handgun and AR ammo in stock. Last time I got one of those, I logged on, ordered, and then went back after thinking about it, to order more, and they were out. So if you're interested, you should probably hurry.
http://www.natchezss.com/

Bill
"If I were the Devil, I'd take from those who have and give to those who wanted until I had killed the incentive of the ambitious." -Paul Harvey, 1964

Old 01-24-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
RJB

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

this ammo prices are insane
really Blazer 45 fro 21 bucks

Old 01-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #9
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2606 Times on 1772 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Saw this coming a good while back, so I took advantage of supply and demand and got my inventory expanded.
I know many of you did the same.

Sorry for those who didn't but I kinda feel like Jim Stafford "sittin on that sack of ammo"

NSDQ

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

BlynnXD9 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
Colt45

Liked 118 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Making an edit on my last post: 223/5.56 is NOT going for a $! a round in Va. more like $0.80 a round and what kills me is some are listing TULA 223 for the same price

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin