Hillwig Universal Site Pusher Giveaway!

XD Forum > General Discussion > Ammo & Reloading > Powder & primers shortages yet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Colt45

Liked 118 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Default Powder & primers shortages yet?

I'm picking a crappy time to start reloading and wonder if the shortage has hit reloading yet as bad a 223/556 ammo and AR-15's? My wife is giving me funds for X-mas to grab a press and kit to start, will the components be as hard to get as ammo was after "Dear Leader" assended to the throne in'08?

Your thoughts.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
JimA

Liked 68 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 26

If I was starting out I would look for a stash of primers now! I never had a problem getting powder, bullets or brass but primers were scarce. On line the big venders are already showing "out of stock" for many pistol primers.

Jim

Don't blame me - I voted for the American.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
jayson

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I agree on primers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they are cheap so its not too bad lol

My local store (45 mins away) is about out of everything !! powder, primers and lead. Im talking a store that usually has 10k primers in each size ON shelf only had a few 100 of each and none in the back.

The reloading section is the size of a really good sized convenient store. it was almost completely empty !!! very very little powder, few primers and no good lead left.

Im not sure how bad it will get or how long it will last but fairly sure we will see another price hike across the board so get what you can while you can !!

What press are you thinking on getting??

Last edited by jayson; 12-23-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #4
Colt45

I'm looking at this one:
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit

Product #: 646599 RCBS #: 9357 UPC #: 076683093578

(40 reviews)
Read 40 Reviews
Write a Review

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Benjamin Franklin

Old 12-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
jayson

nice kit ! Never herd anything bad about RCBS except price lol Hornaday has a nice kit in that price range you might want to take a look at too.

I went with a lee due to cost and a few other reasons.

$250 for a 5 stage progressive press set up with dies for .223 or whatever cal is pretty cheap but good quality.

Lee sells replacement parts for every part/nut/bolt on all of their presses. I really like that and they do NOT get crazy prices for replacement parts.

progressive press can really turn out some rounds quick and accurate or you can use them like a single stage and do really accurate "hand/match" loads.

You will find you do need/want more then comes in any "basic" kit. Rifle can get way more crazy then handgun. I think I invested around $600 for the press and other "toys" plus the here and there stuff but have saved well more then that in the first few months. Its not so much the amount of ammo as the quality of ammo that saves money. I loaded over $600 worth of ammo with $150 in supplies on my FIRST good "run" and didnt know it.

300 XTP 9mm lead $45, 300 .45acp XTP lead $55, bullseye powder $20 600 primers $25

Take a friend (FED/L.E.O) to "our range" with said 600 rounds and shoot. He tries to give me money and we argue over it and the cost of ammo. He gets mad goes to his truck grabs a box of ammo and pulls a bullet out and says " Hornaday XTP right? " and shows me the box of 20 cost like $20

Old 12-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
Colt45

I'm on the "fence" right now. If I get the press kit, dies etc. what are the chances of getting primers right now?? Slim to none or as good as getting a P-Mag for $15.

Jayson I've lookedat the Lee presses as well and may end up with one due to price and the fact I still need at least 1/2 more mag/S for the 45 XD.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
jayson

They are easier to find then a $15 P-mag right now lol

Cabela,s still has them in stock and the local stores are starting to stock the shelves again. Hope it lasts until I can stock up lol

Old 01-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
jayson

midway is sold out of large rifle primers.. its getting crazy again !! might be a serious shortage about to start again

Old 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
Yooper

Liked 54 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have been finding a shortage at my local stores also, I have been useing X-Treme copper plated bullets in my XD and have good sucsess. There is a small learning curve to the copper plated bullets, (only a very slite crimp) however they are inexpensive and are filling orders in about 10 days. Good luck with reloading I just started this summer and find it very enjoyable, as far as cost by the time you pay for press, other related tools and materials it will take a good while before you start saving money but the convieniance and knoledge is worth it.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
Colt45

still looking at a press, Bass Pro was sold out of the lower end units. The search continues....