XD Forum > General Discussion > Ammo & Reloading > Tulammo or other steel cased ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
rjf1070

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Tulammo or other steel cased ammo

Has anyone run some tulammo or other steelcased ammo through their XDS??? Results? Thoughts? I'm trying to keep my range cost down

Old 10-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #2
Pancho_Villa
XD_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 105 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I do not have an XD, but I have used it in some of my other auto pistols to keep the cost down. It is accurate in some guns and not in others. Can say that I can advise anyone else to use it, but it works for me.

i don't reload any pistol ammo except for .45 acp. I even try to avoid that. Mostly cause I lose all the brass in the grass. I can't see well and I just can't find it. I have a range in the back yard. So I try to stick to the low bucks aluminum and steel case stuff if I can.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good place here.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Is there any problem with the steel cartridge casing scraping the chamber walls? Also, is the bullet in the TulAmmo any different composition than a typical US fab cartridge? That is, is there any steel in the bullet itself? Concern about piercing back plates at some ranges.

Balota

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Semi-auto-Setback-Testing.html

Old 10-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
rjf1070

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, I haven't found that the steel case caused any more wear in my other firearms than brass. I've just found that some firearms like it more than others do. For example, my glocks and bushmaster AR15 are just fine with it, but my S&W experiences a FTF every 3rd or 4th round. I had some Blazer once for my glocks and that was a nightmare. repeated FTF and FTE as well.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #5
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjf1070 View Post
Thanks guys, I haven't found that the steel case caused any more wear in my other firearms than brass. I've just found that some firearms like it more than others do. For example, my glocks and bushmaster AR15 are just fine with it, but my S&W experiences a FTF every 3rd or 4th round. I had some Blazer once for my glocks and that was a nightmare. repeated FTF and FTE as well.
Thanks! I may have to try a box of it and see if my XDm 9mm Compact will like it. It's liked everything else I've given it.

Followup: Just noticed on FTF XD forum a guy had some jams with steel cased ammo in his XD9SC. Use with caution.

Balota

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Semi-auto-Setback-Testing.html

Last edited by Balota; 10-20-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #6
xd9gunner

Liked 23 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I've run a couple hundred rounds of MFS, which is steel case, lead core mild steel jacket with copper wash with very good results. I've shot a bit of norinco mild steel jacket copper wash steel case with ok results, reliable but not very accurate. I haven't shot enough of the tula whatit to have a valid opinion in handguns, but their rifle stuff works just fine, so i can't imagine their handgun ammo is no good.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1268 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 2066

I've used steel cased ammo in just about all my firearms...

Usually not as accurate...and usually more dirty...but it works !!

Just not for competition or self defense...

Old 10-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #8
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2610 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 1987

Not in my XDm, but my AK47 eats it like candy.

I've heard both good and bad about Tul in pistols but maybe you can try 1 box and see.

NSDQ

There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Teddybear

Liked 140 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I've never had any problem with steel cased ammo of any brand. Most of it has been Wolf, and yes its kinda dirty, and its not match ammo, but I'm able to hit targets out to 100 yards consistantly, which is just about the limit for these old eyes of mine.

I heard a rumor a few years that the lacquer coating on the steel cased rifle cartridges will melt under rapid fire when the chamber got hot and gum up the chamber. But that was it, just a rumor. I've not had narry a problem with my AK, nor SKS's shooting lacquer coated, steel cased ammo.

Just my two cents worth.

SHOOTER13 Likes This 
Old 10-23-2012, 02:44 AM   #10
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1268 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 2066

Wolf now coats their different brands of steel cased ammo with polymer,

in leiu of the lacquer coating and it's perceived problems.