You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of XDforum.com    

XD Forum > XD Forums > XD Forum >

Plz Help Me Choose: Mod 2 or XD-M

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 04:21 AM   #1
RevV

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Plz Help Me Choose: Mod 2 or XD-M

Hello all. I posted this thread on the Springfield forum but then thought I might get some different perspectives here.

I am looking for a new RANGE gun. For CC, I use a 3.3 inch XD Mod 2 in .45 ACP or a XDs in 9 mm, so this new gun will NOT be a carry piece.

While I prefer .45 ACP, this range gun will be 9 mm because the ammo is cheaper.

I'm no professional, but I've shot my share of pistols over the years: 1911s, Glocks, Sigs, Walthers, S&Ws, Steyers. My all time favorite handgun is the XD Mod 2. They are accurate, rugged, dependable, reasonably affordable; they fit my hand better than any pistol I've shot, and I shoot them well.

For the new RANGE gun I am leaning heavily toward either a XD Mod 2 Tactical (5 inch bbl.) or a XD-M (5.25 inch bbl.).

I've read far and wide and the consensus seems to be that it comes down to personal preference, and one cannot go wrong with either. The XD Mod 2 does feel better in my hand than the XD-M does.

I have 2 questions for the community:
1. Do you know of any reason for choosing the Mod 2 over the XD-M, or vice versa?

2. In the XD Mod 2 / XD-M price range, is there any other 5 or so inch bbl.
9 mm that anyone would strongly recommend I consider?

On the Springfield forum, Shooter asked me if I wanted to branch out and get a gun I don't have, like a 1911.

Here is my answer.

Good question. I’ve owned 2 1911s. The first was an all original WWII Remington Rand; it was a decent gun but was certainly not as good as even a low-level modern 1911. The second 1911 I owned was much nicer, a Rock Island, a genuine middle-grade 1911. I’ve never owned a high-grade 1911; nor can I afford one. Yet, I do feel familiar with the platform. Only an idiot would say that 1911s are not great! Same goes for Glocks.

This story will either illustrate that there is something wrong with me, or it will illustrate that people do have different tastes. Here is what happened the day I decided to buy my first XD. I went to woods (“range” for you city folk) with a shooting buddy. I had my Rock Island 1911 and my Glock 22. My friend brought his Walther 40 S&W, which I have never liked much, and his fresh out of the box XD 40 S&W. This was before the Mod 2. I had never heard of a XD or a HS2000, but by the end of the day, I liked the XD better than my 1911 and my Glock!

The XD just fits me, even more since the Mod 2.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.
SHOOTER13 Likes This 
Old 05-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
SHOOTER13
RETIRED MODERATOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2365 Times on 1681 Posts
Likes Given: 3747

OK then my friend...let us know when pick one.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:24 AM   #3
JoeUSooner
JoeUSooner

Liked 52 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have owned and carried an XD for over five years, and I wouldn't carry anything else. My latest purchase is a service model (4" barrel) XD Mod2, and for my needs it is perfect... carry gun, range gun, home defense gun, etc. It simply "suits" me!

And that's the point.

There is virtually no real, qualitative difference between the two models you are looking at... so, suit yourself!!!!

If guns cause crime... mine are malfunctioning.
RevV Likes This 
Old 05-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
RevV

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUSooner View Post
I have owned and carried an XD for over five years, and I wouldn't carry anything else. My latest purchase is a service model (4" barrel) XD Mod2, and for my needs it is perfect... carry gun, range gun, home defense gun, etc. It simply "suits" me!

And that's the point.

There is virtually no real, qualitative difference between the two models you are looking at... so, suit yourself!!!!
Thank you, Joe!
What you said is pretty much what I have been thinking.
The Mod 2 feels better in my hand, so I will most likely purchase the Mod 2 Tactical, rather than the XD-M.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
RevV

Btw, I carry a XDs 9 mm or a 3.3 inch bbl. Mod 2 .45 ACP, depending on the outfit I am wearing at the time.

Given that they have identical controls and functionality I have no transition issues between those 2 guns. That is a big plus in opinion because of the importance of muscle memory and the ability to work one's carry gun without thinking about it.

Old 05-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #6
RevV

Default Other Opinions?

Would anyone else like to weigh in on Mod 2 vs. XD-M?

Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 PM   #7
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4973 Times on 3374 Posts
Likes Given: 3693

I have an XD-M and think you might prefer the Mod 2 for a range( and all around model).

Like Shooter stated "let us know".

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who don’t like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.
RevV Likes This 
Old 05-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #8
RevV

Thank you, Threetango!

Old 05-23-2017, 03:18 AM   #9
tazo2503
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 905 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 1758

As I've said elsewhere, I couldn't adjust to the more aggressive grip style of the XD-m line. I haven't taken the plunge yet on a Mod2, but I've handled them plenty, and really like the way they feel in my hand.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:49 AM   #10
tazo2503
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 905 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 1758

Not to hyjack your thread Rev, but I'm really interested in checking out the new XD-E.