You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of XDforum.com    

XD Forum > XD Forums > XD Forum >

Should I replace my striker retainer pin?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
leathermaneod

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Should I replace my striker retainer pin?

Hey guys,
I just bought a Springfield XD Mod 2 subcompact and I absolutely LOVE it!! Best shooting pistol I've ever shot and it fits my hand like a custom glove. Anyway I was reading online and heard about the striker retainer pin breaking issue. So now I'm wondering if I should swap mine out with one of the heavier duty "coiled" ones even though my pistol isn't even broken in, just for peace of mind. I called a local gunsmith and they hadn't even heard of the issue, so maybe it's not as big a deal as the internet makes it out to be? Also, is this something I can do myself? I'm a very hands on type and do all my own auto work and such, but my experience is pretty limited when it comes to working on firearms. Anyone have any recommendations on wether or not to change it out? If so, who should I buy a replacement from? And should I tackle the job myself?
Thanks!

Old 02-14-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
Gunstar1

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

The pin issue occurs from a ton of dry firing.

Old 02-14-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
Gunstar1

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Also, replacing the pin is a piece of cake with the right size punch and a roll of duct tape. I would watch a YouTube video that shows the full disassembly of the slide.

Old 03-12-2017, 02:32 PM   #4
XRAY

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hello leatgermaneod, before purchasing my XD I did a ton of research hands on and articles. The striker retainer pin breaking was something that came up. Not by many people just people that would "torture test the XD" and it was mainly due to extreme dry fire. I read somewhere the XDm model had resolved the problem by putting in a, heavier duty retainer than the previous models. But their is 2 options to fix the problem.
(1) you can buy an aftermarket retainer. Powder River Precision has a 3 pack if stainless steel retainer pins for $12.00
(2) you can buy dummy rounds and avoid dry firing. One advantage is u can dry fire practice with piece of mind.

Last edited by XRAY; 03-12-2017 at 02:35 PM.

Old 03-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #5
threetango
XD_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4973 Times on 3374 Posts
Likes Given: 3693

Replaced my pins with those same Powder River ones about 10 months after getting my pistol and I think I paid a bit more than $12.
It's a good idea to go with the PR stainless.

link

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=26

Like it or not, when the chips are down and lives are at stake, an armed citizen can be the "first responder." People who donít like guns invariably rely on people who have guns when their lives are in danger.