XD Forum > XD Forums > XD Accessories & Gear > Does your state's carry laws effect your carry style?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
911JB

Liked 351 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 328

Default Does your state's carry laws effect your carry style?

After readin the holster for a XD thread it made me start thinking. How much does your states carry laws effect your carry style? I know in some states you can not print. Others open carry is no big deal.

My carry style is OWB because Iowa's laws allow concealed or open carry.

JB

Old 10-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
SHOOTER13
FIREARM COLLECTOR
XD_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1226 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 2024

In Pennsylvania...Open Carry is allowed everywhere without a LTCF ( License To Carry Firearm )

with the exception of Philadelphia, where a license is required to both open & conceal carry. There

is no brandishing law...so my holster type does not hinge on total concealment, tho that is what I prefer

to do when out and about. IWB holsters comprise 90% of what I own, but I do own a few OWB holsters.

Last edited by SHOOTER13; 11-01-2012 at 03:45 AM.
911JB Likes This 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 AM   #3
jayson

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Yeah a little. We have open carry and no "printing" laws so I can wear what I want and not have to worry. IF I did have to worry about it I would use a "tuckable" holster to keep my shirt covering it at all times.

If there were "printing" laws or no open carry I might not carry at work due to the fact my work uniforms seem to print really bad and ride up when I bend over.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #4
bmstylee

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 25

open carry is legal in ohio but cops like to give you a hard time from what i have heard and read. i.e. inciting panic. printing is not an issue to the best of my knowledge. i usually have a cover garment of some sort to help avoid that. with the winter here concealment is a bit easier than in the summer months. however if you watch the public at large they are oblivious. i could oc and most of the people would not notice. especially with a a pistol that is not brightly colored like nickel or stainless.

They can try to take my black rifle. I will even throw in the ammunition at 3000 fps for no additional charge.

911JB Likes This 
Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
Kano

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Open carry Tennessee
... I carry OWB concealed with a good leather holster and have no problems packing a HK 45 or XDM 4.5 or a 3.8 XDM 45..
Some times I use my 4.5 XDM 9 .

Old 11-02-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
chuckusaret

Liked 164 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I am not a fan of open carry, but even if Florida was a open carry state I would continue to conceal carry. There is an opportunity cost for everything we do and my opportunity cost to carry a gun is to dress to accommodate the gun. Small price to pay IMO.

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

People Like This 
Old 11-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
jayson

Liked 55 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
I am not a fan of open carry, but even if Florida was a open carry state I would continue to conceal carry. There is an opportunity cost for everything we do and my opportunity cost to carry a gun is to dress to accommodate the gun. Small price to pay IMO.

Im not a fan of open carry either !!! conceal carry is always best IMHO. More so in FL, there are some CRAZY people down there lol. I lived in Jacksonville/St Augustine area for a long time.

Up here in the cold I can easily hide my .45 xdm 4.5 in the summer the 3.8 compact 9mm hides very easily. IF I lived in FL agin I would go with a even smaller xds or even a S&W bodyguard/ pocket gun. however when I visit FL (being a tourist) I carry the .45 lol

Old 11-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Oklahoma passed open carry (with a permit only) back in March. It went into effect Nov-1. I open carried the last two days, except into gun-free zones (zoo, a particular Dr. office, etc.)

My reasoning has always been that concealed makes more sense. Doesn't make sense to me to show the bad guy who his first target should be. But, some of the guys at my LGS suggested a different viewpoint. Except for pathological killers, most bad guys don't want a gun fight. They want to intimidate the storekeeper and get away quickly. They come in and look around first. If they see some folks open carrying, they find another store to rob.

Not sure which is right, but open carry felt a lot more comfortable physically. Any opinions?

On a related note, one of the ideas that seems reasonable is that the Oklahoma LEOs will have their hands full with "OMG, he's got a gun!" calls. If you're walking around Walmart open carry, someone may call a cop. By the time you leave the store, there may be a cop waiting outside for you. Since there's plenty of uninformed folks who think open carry means anybody (not just permit holders), the cops may choose to inquire about your license. (Strictly speaking they should not stop you without reasonable cause, but there you go...)

Seems easier for all concerned if you are wearing your license openly. I got one of those travel lanyards like folks use in airports. My carry license is in the window on the front of it. A cop who sees me walking out of Walmart probably won't bother me since I'm carrying properly and he can see I have a license.

Balota

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Semi-auto-Setback-Testing.html

Last edited by Balota; 11-03-2012 at 04:07 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #9
thepunk88
Premium Member

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 66

virgina is a open carry state no permit needed, permit for cc, we don't have any no print laws just need gun safety certificate price and finger printing very by county or city regulations most are $50 but Campbell Co where i live dropped their rates for the permit to $15 last July

Now i lay me down to sleep,
Beside my bed , a Springfield XD i do keep,
Should i awake and find you inside,
The coroners van is your next ride.....

Old 01-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #10
Teddybear

Liked 131 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Open carry is not legal in Illinois. But then again, neither is concealed carry.