Hillwig Universal Site Pusher Giveaway!

XD Forum > XD Forums > Holsters and Cases > Untucking in a hurry?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

Liked 45 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Untucking in a hurry?

Fairly new to concealed carry. Been carrying in a fanny pack. Just got an IWB holster (Old Fashioned Holsters) which is tuckable. I've tried tucking the shirt in. That act alone takes some practice. I've tried some dry fire draws and that's where my problem is arising.

My normal attire is business casual: slacks, button down shirt tucked in, but normally no sport coat to cover. When I tuck in the shirt in a way that actually looks normal, I find it extremely difficult to actually pull the shirt out of the way at the start of a draw. Two or three yanks are needed to get the shirt out. What am I doing wrong? Tucking in too much? Is there some special way to fold the part that's tucked in? Are there any videos on line that cover this?

Balota

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Semi-auto-Setback-Testing.html

Old 11-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
threetango

Liked 2052 Times on 1383 Posts
Likes Given: 1568

Don't much like the tucked in shirt draw.

Maybe with a Crossbreed "Supertuck" holster.

Here's another video

NSDQ
The mission and my precious cargo are my concern. I will never surrender. I will never leave a fallen comrade to fall into the hands of the enemy and under no circumstances will I ever embarrass my country

laura42 Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
SHOOTER13
ADMINISTRATOR

Liked 1097 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1897

As with anything, practice makes perfect.

Deep concealment will always slow the draw...

That youngster in the first vid did it right...but then again he

probably had practiced it a few hundred times...his weight and waist size

also helped, ( did he have a belt on ? )...and the retention tightness also

has alot to do with clearing the holster, and leaving it behind. I've seen

alot of people trying to practice and pulling the holster almost out with

each presentation.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

My holster is pretty similar to the Crossbreed style. Made by Old Fashioned Holsters. Got it at a gun show (I know, that's not a testimony to quality), but the gear seems very well put together with good quality components. My problem has not been with the holster itself, but with my tucking process. Seems like I tuck in the shirt too well and it wants to stay tucked in.

Looks to me as though a well broken in holster and hundreds of dry fire practice draws are the order of the day. Thanks for the links, 3T.

Balota

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
chuckusaret

Liked 163 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Like most of us I have quite a few well recommended IWB holsters that did not work for me, but presently use two, a Cross Breed Super Tuck and a Galco King Tuk. With proper attire and practice these two allow me to conceal my EDC with comfort and to draw easily and quickly. I live in Florida, but dress to accommodate my EDC, Tommy Bahama shirt and Docker pant. Big Grin

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-21-2012, 04:03 AM   #6
Balota
Sometimes lucky!

Just getting started on the holster collection. I have the two OWB paddle holsters that came with my XDms, my fanny pack (that has been hurting my back) and my new IWB. Gonna give the IWB a good long trial before going for others. (Probably what everyone else said shortly before starting to acquire dozens... )

Balota