2 thumb forward grip on XDm issue?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Colt45, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

Does anyone use this style grip and accidentally cause the slide release to not lock open on the last shot? My 9mm XDm 4.5" has been flawless and I'm betting it's operator error and unfortunately my range is over an hours drive to test my theory out, gun locks up great when manually cycling it. I shoot several 1911's and a couple of BHP's in this style with good results and does good with the xdm except the slide not locking open on the last shot. Your thoughts.

2. JimA

JimA New Member

Does this happen with both of your magazines? If it does then it must be the way you grip the pistol. If it's only 1 mag, it could be faulty.

3. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

All 3 mags do this.

4. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

By no means an expert, but I'm inclined to agree. I use the same grip style. No issues with an XDM40C 3.8". Likewise 3 XD's (4" service, 2 subs).

5. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

You might try loading a few cartridges, & firing it one handed, just to see how it behaves after the last shot. If it's still releasing with your thumb nowhere near the slide stop, then the problem would seem to lie elsewhere.

Sounds puzzling anyway.

6. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

I going to do just that next range visit.

7. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

That's a great idea...

8. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

You could get a lot of tests in by loading "Barney" rounds. One round in the magazine. Load and fire 1 round. Slide-lock.

I had that happen one time very early while learning to shoot. I learned very quickly to keep my thumbs just a little lower.

Probably harder to change habits if you've been shooting other guns for a while. Also noticed you mentioned shooting 1911s a lot. The thumb safety on that may have taught you to keep your right hand thumb higher.

Good luck!

9. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

Balota, my 1911 custom has the wide thumb safety and I'm loving it, at the expense of my XDm. I plan on a range trip X-mas week weather permiting to try this out. I hope it not a mag issue as all 3 do it and they ain't cheap. Any suggestions if it's magazine related?

10. JimA

JimA New Member

I think that's very unlikely Colt45. I think you will just have to adjust your grip a little. Keep us posted.

11. SeventiesWreckers

Hope it's not mag related either, they are pricey. I'm inclined to doubt that the mags are the cause. The XDM worked good for some period of time, and still locks open if manually cycled. For all the mags to play a role, something would have to damage them all in the same way. Or they would all have to fail the same way independent of each other, which is pretty unlikely. I went to the PRP YouTube channel, & scanned their video library for a relevant vid. But the vid animations they have posted are of the trigger, trigger safety, striker & firing cycle. I didn't spot one involving slide stop function. They have good vids on gunsmithing the XD/XDM's, so I'll just post the link in case you might want to have a look. Right now I'm pretty clueless about the cause

Heres the PRP links if you want to check them out. You might have to sign into YouTube to access the first one.

http://www.youtube.com/user/123powderriver

http://www.powderriverprecision.com/Home_Page.html

12. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

70'swrecker, thanks for the links. I'm still blaming it on my high thumb hold, if that isn't the case I may contact S.A. 1st of next year. I'll update this after next range trip.

13. Winger

Winger New Member

Seems all the obvious things have been discussed. I use the same grip: both mags and a variety of ammo with no issues on my XDM Compact.

14. Balota

Agree it is probably a grip issue. Might be as simple as pointing your thumbs forward instead of up. I've seen some videos and books recommending thumbs generally forward but the ends turned up. If that sounds like your grip, try pointing the end of your thumbs forward instead of up. Just a thought.

15. Balota

If all 3 mags are doing it and it is mag related, send the mags back to SA. Lifetime warranty on XDm (for initial purchaser only).

16. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

I was checking out the Walther forum and seems folks are doing the same thing I am with the new PPQ? The PPQ mags @ $55ea make the XD/XDm mags a bargin.

17. SeventiesWreckers

That;s one reason I never went through with buying an H&K. It always irked me that they overprice their products.