Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by dutchs, Feb 1, 2013.

1. dutchs

dutchs New Member

Does anyone here shoot .454 casuall? What do you think of it?

2. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

No I haven't shot one yet, but looking for a double action revolver to shoot hot 45colt reloads out of, I may have to go this .454 route:confused: Trying to find a Ruger Redhawk in 45colt with a 3-3/4" -5-1/2" bbl only chambering is like trying to find a virgin in a house of ill repute, plenty of Super Redhawks in .454 out there. Big as the .454 Super Hawk is, shooting 45colt in one will be like shooting a 38spl in a .357mag.

I like the idea of big bore thumpers in .454/.460s&w/.500s&w/.480ruger etc but these revolvers weigh a ton (4lbs range) or have a 3" bbl (can you say muzzle blast), they might work for some folks but not me. Now one of those rounds in a 16" lever or a semi auto carbine (say 10 rds or so and weighing 5-6lbs) would be an ideal bambi/hog/bear or zombie blaster.

3. dutchs

dutchs New Member

You read my mind Colt! I am getting A legacy Puma .454 levergun. The damn thing looks likke more fun than a barrel of monkeys and i have the big bore addiction as well! The big thumpers really make me happy.....

4. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

:D:D I've got the OLD style pre safety '92 Rossi Puma in 45colt with cowboy loads @ 100yards = Bang ...........wait some more................Thud and an OLD style Ruger Vaquero Bird's Head 3-1/2" bbl in same caliber, now if I can find a Redhawk used ones on Gunbroker go for more than new ones. The old style vaqueros can be loaded hotter than the new style (made for SASS/CAS + they are made for standard ammo pressures only.)

That 454 Puma might need a gunny to Slick up the action some, but a dandy rifle anyway, Good Luck and you better reload for that beast:eek:

5. dutchs

dutchs New Member

I have to just quit giving it lip service and break down and get a full reloading set , bench and all! I now shoot 9mm,.45 acp, .454 casull, .308, .223, 45/70 gov. I really do need to go to reloading. Maybe you can comment on this? They say it is OK to shoot the .45 colt in the Pyma .454. Have you heard this? And what about .45 colt+p?

6. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

I'll get back to you latter on this, going to LGS for some .270win bullets:D

7. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

8. dutchs

dutchs New Member

Thanks Colt. To bad the guy had problems but what a great read. Sounds like Legacy is a real stand up company. I only want to shot the .45 colt for practice to save money on ammo. Looks like i may be in for a fun ride. Cant wait. Hey....really, thanks for all the great insight. You have been REALLY helpful. Good shooting to ya!

9. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

Hey that's what were ALL here for, to help ,learn,share and educate.

ps, think about a 45colt only as you can really hot rod the round and its got to be somewhat cheaper than .454. Just saying.

10. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Or, do what I did and get the Judge and you can shoot 45 Long Colt and shotgun shells.;)
    I like to call this my "car jack" deterrent .

[​IMG]

11. dutchs

dutchs New Member

Ohhhh. Its a trade and the rifle is a .454 casull chambered

12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

PICS man...PICS !!

13. dutchs

dutchs New Member

I cant get them on here. I am on a phone and cant get an attachment on here without using am app. I put one on GF.

14. SHOOTER13

Friggin smart phones...I HATE 'em !!

Congrats Dutch...!! ( I'll just look it up on my LAPTOP !!...;) )

15. dutchs

dutchs New Member

Its the (Rossi) Legacy arms Puma levergun stainless in .454 casull

16. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

3T, Shooter 13 someone help him post a pic. i don't know what the %$#& GF is:confused:

17. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I know zilch about smart phones.
    I have a hard enough time pushing buttons to make a phone call.

18. SHOOTER13

"GF" is Glock Forum Colt45... ;)

Something like this Dutch...?!

[​IMG]

19. dutchs

dutchs New Member

Exactly. Stainless barell and dark walnut looking stock. Small rifle. Only weighs about 6 lbs. GF is Glock Forum.
    Its made by Legacy.( Rossi)

20. dutchs

dutchs New Member

If you are on the browser on a smartphone it doesnt recognize your pocture gallery so you cant do attachments. You have to copy a URL link.