Anyone have kids that shoot?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jayson, Nov 4, 2012.

1. jayson

jayson New Member

I started my kids out young. I feel the more they know the better as there are many guns in the house. LOCKED up but still, Better they know how to use them correctly then think they are a toys.

had the girls (age 8 and 14) out shooting today. some people think im nutts for having a 8yr old shooting a 9mm :rolleyes:

son 17 good with everything
    daughter 14 great with open sight rifle
    daughter 8 GREAT with scoped rifle.

Going to invest in a semi auto .22. the girls are very small and have a serious "limp wrist" problem causing FTF/stovepipes with the recoil of a compact 9mm

any suggestions ?? S&W .22 ??

2. opaww

opaww Banned

My youngest son shoots as does my granddaughter, But my son is 36 and my granddaughter is soon to be 17

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

My only daughter is 21...and I taught her to shoot when she was 10

using at first a .22 caliber bolt action Marlin and then a Browning Buckmark

pistol. I started her with the bolt rifle to get her use to aligning the sight

picture, breathing and squeezing the trigger....all with no recoil to disrupt

the process. Then the pistol to take it to the next step... grip and stance.

She now carries a 9mm for self protection...and she's a good shot.

I would recommend a .22 to help them learn the basics without them developing

a flinch. Like you said, that 9mm was hard for them to control....

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Well, my son and daughter are 31 and 30 now. They started with a couple of Marlin bolt action, single shot, yoouth rifles. Model 15 Y. They particiapated in informal meets with the local 4H kids in grade shool. They were a bit young to use the heavy barrel, full size Mossy model 44US I had for them. But their little rifles were allowed. Moved them up to Marlin Model 70 semi-autos in .22 cal later. Now they have Ruger 10/22s with folders.

As starter handguns, I used single actions at first. Something like the Heritage would be good and not expensive. A Ruger Single Six is really nice or a good DA like the Taurus Model 94. Later went to the Ruger MKII semi-auots. That is what everyone shoots now. We have one for each of us.

But they do not shoot much now even tough we have a backyard range. They grew up having their diapers changed under the tables at the gunshows. Spent alot of their weekend while in elementary school helping me at gunshows. Think they are just burned out on guns.:)

5. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

All 4 kids was shooting in first grade. My granddaughters started maybe in the 5 grade. gotta get them started as early as you can.

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Have two daughters, currently 24 and 20. Started them shooting full autos at our Machinegun Shoots at ages 11 and 7.

My eldest joined their high school rifle team for a year and was the first shooter ever to receive Top Gun award who was not in JROTC at the time. She now has her CCW and carries a Gen3 Glock-30 in .45ACP.

My yougest joined their Navy JROTC rifle team and in 2009 and 2010 was State Champion in the Junior Olympic 3-Position Rifle Shooter category (Individual) and brought Nevada to the Nationals twice, ranking 17th out of 34,000 in her last year. She asked for an Anschutz rifle, which I could not afford, so I built her an M4 and she loves that baby!

She also currently shoots IDPA with the Western Nevada Pistol League using my bone-stock XD-9.

7. 911JB

911JB New Member

Started both my children out at 7 years of age. Now I am on the grandkids. My grandson is now 7 and has ben shooting for 2 years. In fact I have bought him 3 firearms already. A rossi matched pair combo, a cricket and a henry large loop 22.

Here he is with his cricket. Target shot @ 15 yards standing freehand.

[​IMG]

I do tend to start them out rather early on everything.

Gas powered atv @ 4 yeras old.

[​IMG]

his atv on the back of mine.

[​IMG]

First time in the woods for setup @3.

[​IMG]

First bow hunt @5.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

YOU, are doing a hell of a job as a dad. Keep it up.

9. shaner

shaner Active Member

j had all 4 kids shooting at young ages all under 8 and they all still shoot today as they do with their kids . my youngest grandkids are all hunters and shooters .

10. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

My Daughter shoots a BB gun under close supervision. She's five and she loves it. We also have a junior bow set she seems to really enjoy.

11. jayson

jayson New Member

It was very hard for my 8yr old but I just couldnt tell her no when she asked to shoot it. lol the look on her face was priceless lmfao plus it was a chance for some "handgun" basics.

Im going to seriously look for a .22 over the next few months for them to start with. Im pretty sure they have had their fill for a while on handguns so I have time lol

so glad to see so many teach their kids young !! People think Im crazy for doing it and was starting to wonder if I was the only one lol

12. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have four adult kids, three girls and one boy, they all have their concealed weapons and firearms license (CWFL) and they all shoot as often as possible. My 16 yr old grandson has been shooting since age ten and shoots better then me. His favorite handgun to shoot is my XD40SC and the Mosin Nagant is his favorite rifle. Needless to say it gets rather costly when I treat them to a range trip.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  13. Shooter

I'll be moving my Daughter into a .22 ASAP. She's having a hard time with recoil from a BB gun so I'm waiting for her shoulder to tighten up, but I'm very much looking forward to it.

14. Themike13

Themike13 New Member

My 11 year old son has been shooting for over a year. He loves it!!!
    Bought him a Phoenix Arms HP 22 for him to learn his way around a semi-auto and he has mastered that gun perfectly.
    I plan on getting him a .22 AR for X-Mas.

15. Shooter

Did you have him take any classes?