Anyone shooting Black Powder?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by JohnnyB, Oct 20, 2012.

1. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

I hate I didn't get pics of before. This pistol I bought really cheap. It looked like Fido's rear end. After some sanding, polishing, bead blasting of the barrel and just generally refinishing of everything, it is now a nice shooter. I carry this with my 50 caliber Hawken for backup. I shoot a deer or hog and need a second shot, I whip out this little 50 caliber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

You did a great job on the restore job Johnny.

3. Themike13

Themike13 New Member

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Very nice redo on the pistol. Big .50 works.

Been a while since I have shot black powder stuff, mostly cause I hate cleaning it after I shoot it.:D

Here is pic of the last '58 Rem Reb. that I had a year ago. It was an old Italian copy that I got cheap in a swap at a gunshow. I never even fired it before I swapped it at a show. Got it along with a .50 cal. in line that was unfired and I never fired it either. Last one I really shot a good bit was a .54 Cal. Thompson Center Patriot. Been about 7 years since I shot any black powder.

Back in the 70s, black powder stuff got pretty hot. I had a .45 cal Kentucky rifle with a bullet mold and all the goodies. It was a kit. Later I picked up a .31 cal "Mini" Kentucky that was someones unfinished kit like the pistol you found. Both were great shooters. CVA kit guns.

Later I worked up to a Ruger Old Army. It was an early blue steel one and I had to keep it real clean. The other one was a .31 cal. '49 Colt Pocket replica. That little gun was a hoot to shoot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Real nice PV...!!

7. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

I want a Ruger 44 stainless. They are getting expensive. I can buy a BlackHawk for the price of one of the 44s.

8. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

OP, nice job on that restoration. I bet she's fun to shoot! I'd like to find something similar to that in flintlock, but being as i live in canada, the stores here all rape you (cheapest flinty is over 500$)

I picked up a Uberti Remington army repro in stainless. Love shooting that revolver! and at 15-20 yards 5 balls are going to be overlapping, with the 6th usually about an inch away..have yet to decide if that's me or one of the chambers on the cylinder...great gun for plinking tin cans out in the wood lot! Couldn't recommend it enough.

I usually just charge 26 gn fffg over a hornady swaged ball, with the ball over a wonder wad and a tiny amount of lube, 60% crisco, 40% beeswax. Contrary to what you usually see written you do DON'T pump big blobs of lube on top of the ball...all that does is blow off on the first shot and make your revolver into a big sticky mess. Never had a chain fire in hundreds of rounds.

9. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Don't know if you have tried TCs Bore Butter but man that stuff is great. I use it for a patch lube, to season my bore, as a lube for my six shooters. I swab my bores with it on my rifles after every 3rd shot. It dosen't affect BP.

She is a blast to shoot. Thanks.

10. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

bore butter is great stuff. the wonder wads are lubed with it at the factory. and it surely does keep the fouling down!

my father shoots a 45 flintlock rifle and that's all he uses

11. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Yeah, that's a good one to have. I did a stupid and missed out on one at a gunshow a couple of years ago. I had not seen one in a while and the old guy at a table next to me had one in his pistol display case for 3 bills. Fair for a buyer, but not so much for a cheapo gun trader like me.

I had the second table to the right from the front door, so I was getting some guns comming in the door cheap. The old guy next to me had bought about 4 handguns by lunch time and said he was tapped out on cash. I had bought a Ruger Stainless target for 2 bills and an Egyptian AK for 2 and a quarter, so I was almost tapped out on my budget for the weekend. but feeling pretty good with what I got. By Saturday after lunch, the old guy pulled out the Stainless Old Army and offered it to me for 2 bills. I still had enough to get it, but passed it. He still had it on Sunday and came down to 150 on it. I had sold a few clunkers and was gong home with the ones Ihad picked up. I was tempted, but a guy came in with a nice Ruger Sec. Six for 2 bills. and I bought that instead. He finally went and sold it to another gun trader friend of his for 150 to get some traveling home $. Later, I kicked myself in the azz for passing it up.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  12. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

Oh wow, the ones that get away always hurt. :(