car/ truck carry

Discussion in 'XD Accessories & Gear' started by thepunk88, Dec 28, 2012.

1. thepunk88

thepunk88 Premium Member

I was looking at some car holsters for conceal carry, Since i drive a tow truck for a living i was having a hard time finding something that would work in my truck then came by this

http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=82601

has any one tried this?

think I may try to come up with a couple of extra speed loaders and give it a try in my personal and work trucks

2. RJB

RJB New Member

3. thepunk88

thepunk88 Premium Member

yea that would work fine in my personal truck but so good in my work truck..

4. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

5. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

70's, that is a nice looking holster system. Clever mounting system. That looks like some kind of heavy duty fabric enclosing the top of the slide. Do you have any issues with the front sight post catching on the fabric?

6. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I didn't get one yet, so I can't say for sure. We were just talking about them on the GF a few months ago & I remembered the link to Gumcreek Customs. I think they just sell the mount itself, and you use your own holster of choice. So, if the holster your using doesn't snag as an OWB carry, it should perform the same mounted under the column. The one in the pic looks like an Uncle Mikes, or a Blackhawk holster. I like the military M-12 Bianchi with the thumb break instead of the flap. You might contact Gumcreek by email, or phone, just to check with them.

7. thepunk88

thepunk88 Premium Member

i just check them out they sell holsters also for another $25 bucks or so i might give it a shot, but will prob hafta get the over the column adapter for my international roll back...

8. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

Read up on their website. Holster selection is a little tricky.

First, you need a holster that is essentially a single loop or clip to attach to your belt. Maybe some double loop holsters that have the loops right next to each other would work. But a holster that spreads the loops out to distribute weight on a belt won't work. The site recommends the single loop design.

Second, if you use an OWB holster (which has the loop between the gun and the body), you will need to get an off-hand holster (i.e., RH shooters need a LH holster). If you use an IWB holster (which has the gun between the loop and the holster, you need to get a strong-hand holster.

Either way you probably won't use your normal carry holster to attach to the mount. That's actually a good thing because you can leave the in-car holster in place and simply move the gun from one holster to the other. But you do need to buy another holster (or dig one out of your old holster collection :) ). Gum Creek also sells holsters to go with the mount.

9. Yooper

Yooper Junior Member

I have the Gum Creek and love it. Works great for my 45 XDM, However just to let you know it is illeagle to carry in a commercial vehical. Check your laws and weigh your options.

10. thepunk88

thepunk88 Premium Member

Yea I am aware of the laws But some of the places we go it is needed and most of the local leo's know we carry

11. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

Check out the SAFEPACKER HOLSTER Carried by at Dillon's Precision products. this works in the Auto or when you step out of the auto etc.? ther is a video on it on YOUTUBE. It is Mfg by The Wilderness same people that make the Belts etc.

12. Yooper

Yooper Junior Member

I have the Gum Creek under dash, they do sell gun specific holsters that matches your gun. It performs perfectly! Now if I could just find a comfortable way to carry concealed?

13. RibEye

RibEye Steak Medium Rare

this is how i do

Attached Files:

14. 911JB

911JB New Member

Just kinda wondering what the reasoning is behind carrying a firearm on your auto instead of on your person? Myself I feel that the most dangerous time of carry is during a holster/unholster. So once my XD goes into its holster on my side, in the morning, it stays there until the holster comes off at night. I dont like the idea of unholstering from my body and the reholstering into a auto holster and then back and forth every time I enter or exit the vehicle. Maybe I am missing something here so can someone explain the thought process here?

JB

15. Yooper

Yooper Junior Member

I use a vehicle holster for two reasons, first; the only way I have found comfortable to carry on my person is in the small of my back and that is uncomfortable when driving, Second; access is much easier and faster when all I have to do is pull it from under my dash rather than having to retrieve it from behind me when I'm sitting on it. I'm still trying to find a comfortable concealed carry method that woorks for me. I have an XDs in.45.

16. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

So far I've been carrying my pistol in the console and try to be aware of my surroundings.

17. 911JB

911JB New Member

I guess the word concealed is the word that makes all the difference to your carry options Yooper. I don't worry about concealed carry. I carry in a OWB holster, with a forward cant, in the 3 o'clock position. In this position I am not sitting on it and it is not blocked by my seatbelt if I am riding in a cage. I am willing to bet that I can actually draw it faster from this position than I could if it were in a holster under my dash.
    Just out of curiosity, does your state allow open carry? If so, have you ever exercised this right to open carry?

JB

18. Yooper

Yooper Junior Member

Michigan is an open carry state, our aria is not used to open carry. Our Second Amendment rights group (Delta County Gun Owners Assoc.) is haveing an open carry dinner tonight at a local restaurant. We are hoping to educate people that open carry is nothing to be afraid of. We have been together for about 4 months and are trying to push states rights for our gun rights.

P.S. I'm pretty efficient with draw from under dash.(not a challenge)

19. 911JB

911JB New Member

I was just wondering Yooper. Thanks for the reply.

Iowa is also a little uneasy about open cary. I am one of the ice breakers with open carry. Very few do it around here. Sooner or later the sheeple will get use to it and it wont be such a big deal . . . I hope.

As far as the under dash carry. Does it worry you, or anyone else for that matter, that you are going through any number of extra holsters/unholsters throughout the day? I would worry about the number of times the firearm gets holstered and unholstered. Its not as big of a deal with a XD, but if I was a glock fan I know I would be very worried about it. I have always felt that the most dangerous time is when the gun comes out/goes into a holster. Am I alone in this fear? Just wondering.

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

In Pennsylvania open carry is allowed everywhere in the state except Philadelphia where you need to have

a concealed carry license ( LTCF ) in order to carry open...(go figure). So, I do open carry when in my Jeep.