Chicken Raising

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TxShooter, Oct 16, 2012.

1. TxShooter

TxShooter New Member

We have kept poultry on and off for awhile but about six months ago we really got into it. Have about 35 chickens (Rhode Island Red and Buff Orpingtons) and about 12 Guinea Hens (lost one last night to a hawk).

Anyone else raise chickens?

2. shaner

shaner Active Member

i got a good buddy that does , he has i think 17 of the layin hens, he keeps us in brown eggs for sure, and they taste Oso much better

3. havasu

havasu Administrator

4. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

They really do. Nothing compares to farm fresh eggs. Same thing with vegetables. I think we get used to a grocery store standard and it can be so much better.

5. Terry

Terry Junior Member

As soon as to crack open a real fresh egg and it hits the frypan you can tell the differance from a store egg. Was born and grew up on a farm.

6. Shooter

I've been around chickens most of my life but never lived on a farm.

We had a few acres and I would tend to them. That's how I got started.

7. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

I, at one time had over 300 mostly Oriental types. The one below was sent to me from a lady over on the Isle Of Mann. It is an Shamo which is a type originally from Japan. She sent me a dozen eggs and I let one of my hens sit them for me. Out of 12 eggs 3 hatched. This guy eats snakes, rats, and pretty much any animal small enough.

[​IMG]

8. Shooter

I've always wanted a Japanese bird. They are very pretty. The coloring on that rooster is impressive.

9. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

This bird it from Thailand. He is a fighter and I have to keep him from my other birds or he will kill them.

[​IMG]

10. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Been a while since we had any out here on the old rancho. Wife's grandfather had some and when he passed on, we got the chickens by default. My M in law didn't care to take care of them. Also had some wild turkeys that he hatched running around the yard too. After a while, they all went back to the wild.

Just recently started a pretty good size gardenwith the kids. It is about 30 foot square. Our first attempt since the F in law quit doing it and is now in a nursing home. they use to help him out when they were kids. Now, both at 30 and 31, they have to do it all and find that it is not so easy. I just water. I don't like working that hard. That's why I retired.

The hot thing around here now is fighting roosters. Well, it has been for the last 20 years or so. Being that there are alot of ranches and private rural places to go, it is a lucrative passtime for some. Wasn't for me cause I was involved with the prosecution side of the ones that got caught. Neighbors down the road have several "Rooster Teepees" in their yard. Guy a couple of miles down the road has about 20 of the little plywood A frame rooster houses in his yard too.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  11. TxShooter

TxShooter New Member

I'm hoping to keep with the Buff/Red mix and breed, I think they call them Sunrise Orpingtons.

A hawk took a guinea keet a few days ago.

12. Shooter

Did you get a shot off at it?