Colt Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Oct 16, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

This thread is dedicated to the firearms of Colt...whether it be a Single Action Army revolver or a semi-auto pistol...here's a place to discuss and share everything you like about the gun that made all men equal...

===================================================

Here are a few of my favorite "ponies"...

.45 COLT

[​IMG]

.45ACP

[​IMG]

.380 ACP

[​IMG]

2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Nice Colts ya got there SHOOTER 13. I will try and dig some of mine up ASAP.

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Here is an oldie. That is right down my alley. Guess I am an oldie. Got this beater Colt Cobra .38 spl, first issue model from my dad. He was a retired Chief LEO. He passed on in 92 and I got a few of his guns.

My dad got this old Colt from another old LEO in this County. It is a 1953 vintage gun with an alloy receiver. Cylinder nad barrel are steel. Grips are faux wood grain plastic with the Colt logo. It is finish worn in places from being carried, but never fired much. Still locks up tight, perfect bore and cchambers. Very accurate with target wadcutters at combat range.

Very light and early Colt snubby. Same as the Dective Special of the period which is all steel. Still works great and I sometimes carry it as a backup to a rifle when working on fencelines on the rancho here and south of here. But I am usually better off with a .357 cause of hogs, javelina and illegal aliens in the brush around here. Gun will still do it. One did the job for Jack Ruby,for those that follow JFK history.

[​IMG]

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

A Colt Trooper MKIII in .22 LR cal, of @ alte 70s vintage. It was given to my father upon his retirement as a Cheif LEO. Served from 1955-81 and the gun is so inscribed. A medium frame gun with coil springs. So it does not have the great DA/SA trigger of the Python. Target sights on a 4" barrel, 6 shots. Standard grips on it and some of his cop goodies.

[​IMG]

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

And the gun I got for my on his retirement as an LEO. A Colt Trooper MKIII in .357 mag. It is a 4" with target sights, 6 shots, SA/DA revolver. This one has late model grips on it cuase we use it some. The early type originals from the mid 70s are put away. Great companion piece for the .22 cal Trooper that his department got for him. Been looking for the 3rd gun in the series, which is the .22 magnum. Rarely ever see one for sale and it is usally more than what was given for these 2 guns back in the early 80s.

[​IMG]

6. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

Nice pair of revolvers Pancho. I like the history behind them.

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Thanks TeddyBear,

I tried for several years after his reitirement to get my dad's S&W Mod 28 in .357. I cut my teeth on htat gun. Started sneaking it off and shooting it when I was a freshman in high school That was in 1969-70. My dad hardly ever carried it. He hardly ever had a gun with him even on duty.

I tried to get the 28 from 2 different Cheifs that worked after he did. Never did. Not sure if the gun ever got traded off for an auto pistol or is still in the police dept vault. I know one guy was carrying it in the late 80s cause I was working in the probation department back then and recognized the gun. They were just strarting to use auto pistols at athat time and that guy had no business using an auto pistol. Not sure if he was safe with a revolver either.

8. bmstylee

bmstylee New Member

a quick question. i have a customer i work with who is selling a colt detective model. from what i have researched it is a 1969 model. the blue is really nice. the checkering on the grip is also sharp. he wants $450 for it. is that a fair price. also the white on it is not scratches but rather some snow flakes. he keeps in in the glove box of the car.

Attached Files:

9. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

My Avatar is my input a US Army Colt Model 1901 .38LC.

10. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

Thats a good price. You wont be dissappointed.

11. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

In my area the Colt Detectives sell in the neighborhood of $650 up depending on year and condition. At a recent local auction one in 90% condition with the original Box and manual went for $1200 plus the 12% buyers fee and 6% sales tax.