Concealed Carry Permits...

Discussion in 'Conceal & Open Carry' started by SHOOTER13, Oct 16, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

So, who here has a state issued permit to carry a concealed firearm...

And what kind of hoops do you have to jump through to get one...are you finger printed...asked to show firearm proficiency...do classroom time ?!

Let's talk about the rules of your state...

2. SHOOTER13

Pennsylvania

In Pennsylvania, a LTCF ( License to Carry a Firearm ) is required by the state.

Once the citizen passes a background check by the local PD / Sheriff, the background

check card and the LTCF form is taken to the county seat...in Montgomery county, it is

the Norristown Court House...where the form is reviewed and two pictures are taken...

one for the license and one for the file.

The permit is good for 5 years and the laminated card with photo is assembled at

the county seat for $50...cheaper paper versions are available.

There is no requirement for classroom or proficiency training...as it is a shall issue state.

Open carry is allowed without a permit...but as soon as you get into a vehicle without one,

the firearm must be unloaded and secured away from the driver.

3. Competitive_XD_Shooter

Competitive_XD_Shooter New Member

I also have a PA License to Carry a Firearm. I only had to pay about $30.00 and wait a little over two weeks for my background check to come back. My picture was only taken once, at my local court house before I even handed the clerk my application. Once I had been approved, the card was printed and laminated right in front of me. I talked to the two individuals I had put down as references, and both of them told me that neither of them had been contacted. I was actually rather surprised, since a few years back my father's references had both been called, and they gave him a hard time when one of the phone numbers was not up-to-date. I get the feeling that the PA state government is getting overloaded with applications for licenses with the current political climate. All I can say is that I'm glad I can carry my XD9 comfortably and concealed without any fear of being harassed for being "One of those gun nuts".

4. SHOOTER13

Welcome to the XD Forum Competitive_XD_Shooter !!

5. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have had a Florida Concealed Weapons Firearms License (CWFL)for about fifteen years. I carry every time I exit my house, even if it is just for a walk in the yard.:D

6. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

I have an Oklahoma Concealed Carry Permit. Classroom time. Very simple proficiency test. Background check (OSBI and FBI, I think). Fingerprints. Digital photo ID.

Oklahoma passed open carry back in March I think, but it goes into effect November 1st. I may carry open that day to celebrate, but after that I'll go back to concealed. No point showing the bad guys who their first target should be!!!

7. JimA

JimA New Member

Michigan CPL (concealed pistol license) classroom training,background check, gun handling & shooting proficiency test. Fingerprinting and photo ID. $105 application fee. Good for not more than 5 years.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  8. SHOOTER13

Thanks for the input gentlemen... anyone else ?!

9. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Both my wife and I have CWP's here in South Carolina and like Michigan classroom training,background check, gun handling & shooting proficiency test. Fingerprinting and photo ID.
    $50 fee good for 5 years and the fee is waverable if you are a disabled veteran.
    Wait time is between 60-90 days.

10. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

Yeah, and the wait depends on the county of residence. Mine was just a couple weeks (till the next Gun Board meeting) but some counties require an in-person interview and long waiting times. Wexford Co. (where I live) is one of the more lenient counties.

11. JimA

JimA New Member

You are right about that. My last CPL i had to wait more than 6 months.:( I have to reapply again next year. I've heard the wait in Wayne County is shorter now. I will apply 6 months before it expires.

12. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

I have had permits to CC in Az.,Ca., and in Wa.

I was surprised when I applied in Wa. how easy and quick it was.
    I went down to the courthouse and filled out the paperwork ,they took fingerprints(with an inkpad the first time) and I had my permit 6 days later.I have renewed 3 times since then and with the exception of the time they had problems with the print scanner ,it has been much the same.

13. dondavis3

dondavis3 XD .45 Tactical

In Texas

We have to get:

fingerprinted
    show firearm proficiency at a range
    do several hours classroom time - I forget how many - but a lot.
    Get a passport photo taken
    pass a written test
    takes about 4 weeks to get the permit in the mal

It's a pain ... but I'm glad we have to do it.

You wouldn't believe how inexperienced some people are that are trying to get gun carry permits.:eek:

:cool:

14. GsxrBots

GsxrBots New Member

Newbie here, WI permit was pretty easy to get, take a short class or have your Hunter's safety certificate and send in a form, $50 and wait a few weeks...

15. SHOOTER13

Welcome to the XD Forum GsxrBots !!

16. Silverhead

Silverhead New Member

I have a Texas CHL. It's a very big size laminated card that does not fit my wallet. Cuz everything is bigger in Texas. :D Kidding, ya'll!

No challenges in getting one, really. Fingerprints got done easily, no waiting in the line. Collected all required docs. Even being a permanent legal resident, not a citizen, was not a problem. Sat in a classroom for 10 hours. Instructor was great. There was only 3 of us in the class that very rainy day on Feb 4.

The only challenge now: had to change my wardrobe a bit for concealed carry. Wife is not happy with my saggy, bigger size outfits. )) Her problem...! :cool:

The open carry law is good but I agree with Balota above in that it would not mean I would carry openly. It's just if the gun prints under my clothes, then in the state with open carry law that would not be a significant issue. Where there's no open carry law, someone spots a printing of your concealed sidearm under your shirt, he would freak out. Or not! Who knows?! Anyway, just speculating about different people's reactions...

17. Silverhead

Silverhead New Member

Ah, yes! Forgot to tell you - I scored 100% on a written test and fired with 247 out 250 score. Looooove guns! )))

18. Woody

Woody New Member

Its a Family affair with us Myself, My Wife, My Daughter, & My Son in Law all 2nd issue Missouri
    They will put it on your Drivers License here But we all prefer the 2nd option offered of putting it on a seperate state ID no need in advertising everytime it is nessassary to show your ID. And anytime a LEO runs your license it automaticly shows up in the system

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  19. 911JB

911JB New Member

I have a Iowa PTCDW [Permit To Carry Dangerous Weapons}. Our permit covers any firearm as well as edged weapons and many other "dangerous" weapons. It also covers open carry as well as concealed. If I wanted to I can walk down the street with my M-4 slung across my back. No big deal.
    Iowa was a hard state to get a permit in, or at least it could be depending on the county you lived in. In days gone by it was up to your county sheriff weather or not you could have a permit. A couple years ago that all changed to a shall issue permit. Now it just takes a NRA basic pistol class, or a DD214 and a $50 application fee. Our permits are good for 5 years.

20. opaww

opaww Banned

Both my son and I have a Kentucky CCDW permits