First time XD shooter

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by papa-alpha, Oct 18, 2012.

1. papa-alpha

papa-alpha New Member

Hey folks, I got a brand new XD-9 a few months ago. I love the way it looks and feels in my hand. I can't wait to shoot it! For those of you who have put hundreds or thousands of round down an XD-9 pipe, what should I expect from my brand new pistol? Any suggestions for ammo brand, bullet weight, etc? Any known flaws with this particular model?

Look forward to hearing from y'all.

PA

2. shaner

shaner Active Member

sounds good hello to ya

3. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Welcome to the forum!! You will love the XD..although I do not have a 9mm. The best suggestion from me for ammo would be to buy lots of cheap practice ammo, Federal, Blazer, WWB and practice lots. As far as defense ammo, Google is your friend..you can find more info than your mind can wrap itself around regarding this subject. You decide what you wish to carry, then buy lots of it and shoot it to insure your gun likes it, and you find out where the ammo hits on a target. If you have some problems with a certain ammo, try another..gets expensive, but worth it in the long run. Hope this helps some..

4. dondavis3

dondavis3 XD .45 Tactical

Congratulations on your new XD.

I think you'll love it.

Post a picture - I'd like to see it.

You can use any ammo you want - it's not finicky.

:cool:

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new XD. My eyesight is pretty bad. Maybe I just can't see the PICTURES.

6. dondavis3

dondavis3 XD .45 Tactical

@ papa-alpha

Wow nice gun.

Congratulations.

Good picture too.

:cool:

7. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Nice weapon..thanks for posting you picture

8. Themike13

Themike13 New Member

Congrats on the XD... welcome to the family!
    Be sure you feed her regularly and she will treat you right if the time comes.

9. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

less see, i prefer 115gn in 9mm, but mainly because that's normally the cheapest bullet weight to buy for reloading.

I find my xd9 very catholic in it's taste, it shoots almost anything well. The only bullets I've not found as accurate where anything in 147 weight, but i think if you want bullets that heavy you should go to 40 anyways. my opinion anyways, that and a buck fifty get ya coffee :p

I've had good results with any cast with good lube on it, in all profiles that i've used (round nose, conical and some semi wadcutters) and any plated or FMJ in either 124, 115 or any small variation there off (found some 130's ones, seen 110's too)

I've never had an issue with barrel leading. but i don't try to turn the cast stuff into +p+ either.

I've never bothered to fine tune, because ANY load i've ever put together shot into 3" or better at 20 yards (well, not some of the 147, but they where close). Bullseye works wonders, 231, titegroup, power pistol, all will do you fine. Take what you can get cheapest and shoot it by the bucket full. The trigger on your gun will get better and the barrel smoother over time, the barrel esp if you shoot cast.

One thing i did note, my XD45 would not, in any way or no matter what i did, feed a semi wadcutter reliably. As that was my standard practice round for feeding my 1911, it went to a friend who likes to own it more then shoot it :) . Shoot really accurate and soft with any other form of bullet, but i wasn't going to change my standard bullet, and heck, i already had an XD that ran like a top, and multiple other 45 pistols, so off it went...(not that i don't sometimes regret it...guns are for keeping not selling)

10. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have 6K plus rounds of mostly cheap WWB target ammo down the pipe of my XD40 SC without a failure of any type.

11. Rock

Rock LEO, SWAT, USN, ARNG

A gently used XD45 after nineteen or so Glocks for me. I detest the finger grooves that don't fit my hand and rough texture finishes on the Glock third and fourth generation pistols and had heard nothing but good about the XDs. The higher bore axis is most interesting...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictured with the Kowulz Urban Fury Tactical Utility knife of my design.

12. badman400

badman400 New Member

Nice setup Rock! Welcome from another upstate SC boy. I now own 4 XD's. But my first XD-45 is still running strong with over 6000 rounds through. I have an XD-40SC with over 4000 rounds fired, same story!

The other two are the full sized XD9M and XD40M. Both are tons of fun, but if need be, "Hell follows with them". ;)

OP, these are simply great guns! I call them the "AK-47" of pistols. You can expect a lifetime of performance and dependability, backed by a lifetime warranty that I've never had to use even though I have punished a couple of mine.

They're tough, reliable, accurate and not a single part replaced through range play. competition, and home defense, on any of my XDs. Where other pistols have failed, my XD's have kept on rocking!

The XD-45 is my favorite pistol out of a substantial and widely varied firearm collection.

For more info on "what to expect" from your XD, Google the "20K round XD torture test".

Welcome to the forum. Own with confidence and enjoy! :cool:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  13. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

Your pistol should eat just about any commercial ammo, my XDm in 9mm loves the steel case Russkie stuff. Enjoy and just go shoot the ---- out of it.