Front sight

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jas4412, Jan 6, 2013.

1. jas4412

jas4412 New Member

the white paint in my front sight of my XDm fell out. What paint should I use as a replacement?

2. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Two comes to mind White fingernail polish, White metal marking paint with a clear coat enamel. These are just off the top of my head and no experience with the use / abuse of the paint, just from the experience of a welders helper and metal marking both temporary and permanent.

3. glock26USMC

glock26USMC New Member Supporter

Thread moved to gunsmithing for more responses.

4. Robb

Robb New Member

Use a cotton swab/q-tip with brake cleaner on it to clean out the "hole" where the paint lays, then once that dries, use a toothpick and use white fingernail polish, dabbing white paint in the "hole" until it fills in nicely.
    Just remember if you wipe it down with hoppes 9 the paint will come off.

Good luck,
    Robb

5. wmruss

wmruss New Member

Did my sights with a neon green and neon orange from my local hobby shop, Its an inexpensive way to see your sights once you get older.

6. jas4412

jas4412 New Member

Thanks for all the input. I do use Hoppes 9 to clean the gun so that might explain why the original paint fell out. I don't have brake cleaning solution and wondering if mineral spirits or fingernail polish remover would work just as good.

7. Robb

Robb New Member

Fingernail polish remover should work, it is basically acetone, that should clean it pretty well.

8. XDs45IWB

XDs45IWB New Member

Wondering if anyone has tried the glow in the dark paints like Glow-on or V10 for the front dot?

9. Juice

Juice New Member

I've done the glow in the dark paint, I went back to white dots, the glow paint would only glow for 10 mins tops, when I went back to white I actually pulled the white dots out and used white hobby paint to fill it back in

10. XDs45IWB

XDs45IWB New Member