Has anyone changed the fibre optic color on their XD-s?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by JimA, Oct 31, 2012.

1. JimA

JimA New Member

Has anyone installed the green fiber optic filament in their front sight. How did it go and is the green more visible to you?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  2. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

I have not as of yet..but..I have done others on other handguns and rifles, very easy to do.

3. ajamesp51

ajamesp51 New Member

Every ones eyes are different, some people see reds better than greens and vice versa. Try both and see which one you seem to pick up better. To me I seem to pick up the red better since around me is so much green all around me. The red seems to just stick out. You should have enough extra filament to try both out a couple times.

4. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Where can you buy this sized filament?

5. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Here.
    Just insert fiber optic filament for Springfield XD in the "search"

http://www.dawsonprecision.com

6. wmruss

wmruss New Member

I used a neon green and neon orange paint to increase visability only cost me 4 dollars,,neon green on the back and neon orange on the front,,works awesome,,Im an instinctive shooter so i didnt need the real deal this worked great,

7. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

8. JimA

JimA New Member

I finally changed mine yesterday. It was kind of hard to get the red one out. I ended up cutting the melted ball at the front end and driving it back out with a small punch. The new one slid right in. The green is much brighter to my eyes.

I noticed the front Firesight on my 10/22 Takedown is the same diameter.(.060) I'm going to change that one to green also. It should show up good through the peep.

9. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

So... .060 is the size for the XDs ?!

10. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Believe Jim is correct, or 1.5 mm for those who care. :D

11. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Thanks 3T....I care big guy !! :p

12. bmstylee

bmstylee New Member

Why a fiber optic front? This is a carry gun for what I can see. Most armed conflicts occour in low light where fiber optics are not the best. Why not a Trijicon night sight? Truglo makes a fiber opric site with a tritium vial behind it. Just seems strange to me.

13. JimA

JimA New Member

That's what it comes with. It has a red fiber optic sight from the factory with a couple pieces of filament so you can change it. The green shows up better for me.
    I agree it's not the best in low light.