Hearing Protection...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by SHOOTER13, Oct 24, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

What does everyone here use for hearing protection at the gun range...?!

==============================================

I use the Surefire EP-4 Sonic Defender Plus system...

[​IMG]

EP4 Sonic Defenders® Plus protect your hearing without interfering with your ability to hear routine sounds or conversations. Their triple-flange stem design fits larger ear canals and provides a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 24dB. Sounds, at safe levels, are allowed to pass through into the ear canal, while potentially harmful noises (above 85dB) are reduced to safe levels via a proprietary design that incorporates the patented Hocks Noise Braker® filter. EP4s include attached stopper plugs, which can be inserted for further protection and blocking out lower-level noise, like that heard on a plane, where hearing ambient sounds or conversations isn't critical. The right/left color-coded Sonic Defenders Plus are made from a soft but durable, hypoallergenic polymer and are ergonomically shaped, with an adjustable-stem design, providing a secure fit, all-day comfort, and extended product life (3 to 6+ months, depending on usage and care). And their low-profile design means they can be worn while wearing a helmet or mask, or while using a phone or headset. Available in clear or black.

2. blackwolffcf

blackwolffcf New Member

Hearing aids… Really expensive ($3,000-$13,000), but arguably the best option, IMHO. (Glad I have insurance, Cheaper than surgery)
    [​IMG]
    *requires a prescription, and a hearing loss.

Though there are electronic ear plug systems that are similar to hearing aids that are available… they are still expensive…
    http://www.soundgearhearing.com
    http://www.espamerica.com

To those who have hearing difficulties and don't want to go to the doctors or pay for tests…
    The NRA has a hearing benefit for their members, easily the best alternative to insurance or paying cash.
    http://www.nrahearingbenefits.com

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012

3. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I like those, first time I've seen them and if my wife sees them she will be wanting a set as she's big on hearing protection.

4. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

I have some really old "Silencio" ear muffs, with the metal band over the head. Tried the ones that go in the ears and they bugged me too much. Of course the other ones are kinda hot in warm weather.

5. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

Because I needed to hear the range officer when I was shooting pistol league a few years back, I started using a pair of Caldwell electronic ear protectors and I really like them.

6. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

I use some soft wax ear plugs I like. They are a puddy like material. I'll have to take a look when I get home as to the brand.

7. shaner

shaner Active Member

caldwell electronic muffs from midway the GF and i both like them,

8. JimA

JimA New Member

Outdoors shooting and hunting I use Walker's Power Muffs. Indoors I double up with disposable ear plugs under Pro Ears Ultra 33 muffs. I have a constant ringing in my left ear from too many unprotected gunshots in my youth. I can't afford to lose any more hearing.:eek:

9. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

I used to use some Howard Leight muffs that I got at Texas Motor Speedway. NRR was around 30 or so. But when I joined IDPA, I needed to be able to hear the safety officer. So I bought a different Howard Leight product that has some active suppression of sharp sounds, but amplifies normal noise. I really like them. NRR is only around 22-24, but it does knock down the gun fire.

10. opaww

opaww Banned

What did you say? Speak up

11. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

LOL, I wish I had started using them sooner for this exact reason. My right ear in particular seems to have an issue.

12. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

I said, "Opaww, check the battery in your hearing aid!!!"