Holster preference

Discussion in 'XD Accessories & Gear' started by stevo, Dec 16, 2012.

1. stevo

stevo New Member

Howdy!
    Over the years I have spend alot of money ($$$) on various holsters for various firearms. My current favorites (for the XD) are the Blackawk Serpa and the Galco horizontal carry shoulder holster.
    I have two of the Serpas, one on a paddle and one on a belt loop system. I know that Blackhawk makes a nylon harness for shoulder carry but I like the feel (comfort, if you will) of the Galco leather harness. I also prefer the magazine pouches of the Galco over the Blackhawk. Both the Galco holster and the double magazine pouches are horizontal carry type. Obviously one cannot always carry in a shoulder rig, that's when I go to the Serpa for waist carry. I have found that, for me, the Springfield Armory mag pouch is ideal. I have tried other moulded ones and leather ones but the Springfield pouch works for me.

Cheers, Stevo

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the club stevo...I got a whole box of holsters...some I still use, some not so much !!

3. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think one of these days we should have a holster trade or mass sale. :D

4. wmruss

wmruss New Member

I make my own along with my own magazine holders,,didnt know it could be so easy. I learned and few tips off the web then experimented from there.

5. DesertWildman

DesertWildman New Member

Galco Leather holsters are hard to beat - looks, quality, fit - plus they are made in the USA not too far from me.

Still, the Blackhawk SERPA models are great for daily use with their single-handed, pushbutton retention systems. Even though there are a ton of reports of unintended discharges when drawing a pistol, using the Blackhawks, I've not seen any regarding returning the pistol to the holster.

My take is if you practice & you don't release your safety before you fully deploy the weapon, you'll have no issues. I never have.