IDPA Shooters?

Discussion in 'Competition' started by Balota, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

Just joined IDPA. Shot first match on Sunday. Never tried anything like that before, so my score reflected that. Nicked one non-threat target :(, but only one. Managed to get zero procedurals and zero fail-to-neutralize. Was pretty happy about that.

Need to slow down. Need to shift focus back to the front sight after transitions. Need to work on reloads.

Seemed to be quite a few of the other shooters there with XD, XDm or XDs. Anyone else shooting IDPA?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I've shot IDPA at a local range a few years back...

3. bmstylee

bmstylee New Member

Its quite fun I must say. I shoot an xd9 service model in any match I can.

4. Balota

I shoot my XDm 9mm Compact which is my EDC. I may try my XDm 5.25" Competition 45 someday, but I want to get a little more used to IDPA procedures before I start that.

5. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I (as well as a few others in the club) shoot the XDm9. I had mine worked over by Springer Precision a while back and it is much smoother and quicker. http://www.springerprecision.com/

6. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

My youngest daughter absolutely loves shooting my XD9 in IDPA! And she does quite well, too!

Absolutely bone stock pistol. And she scores great with it!

7. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

the secret is to head shoot all the non threats...that ways there's no witnesses and you can blame it on the threat targets you eliminated. Tried that once at a halloween shoot...got lots of laughter from the rest of the squad and funny looks from the RO....didn't help my score any though :D

8. Balota

Pretty sure this would fall under the "Failure To Do Right" category, or at least gamesmanship. Shoot through the "legs" of the non-threat target, causing it to fall down!:eek: "I had to wound the hostage so I could get a clear shot at the bad guy..."

9. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

ROFLMAO...ok, now i have to try that :D I'm pretty sure it won't be a FTDR, but count as a hit on a non hostile....might want to go to 45 to make sure the sticks break though.....

10. Balota

Shouldn't be a hit on a non-threat. They don't give you credit for hitting the stick on a threat, why should they penalize you for the non-threat? Just sayin'

P.S. You won't endear yourself to the guys who set up the stage if they have to rebuild the non-threats several times. If you get away with it, everyone will pile on!

11. dacsoft

dacsoft New Member

I have been shooting IDPA a couple years now using my XDm 9mm. I am lucky that there is a match fairly close every Sunday. I try to shoot as many as possible, but at least 2 a month.

You have to watch those non-threats - they just don't get down like they shoot. They should hit the floor at the first sound of shooting.

12. Balota

Me, too. XDm 9mm Compact. I think you should be allowed to shoot the legs out from under the non-threat targets ... :rolleyes: Of course if you could shoot that well, you wouldn't need to worry about NT. :D

13. tnroadrunner

tnroadrunner New Member

I've been shooting IDPA for 5 yrs now and use my XDm 3.8 9mm. I shoot two or three times per month.

14. Flas61

Flas61 New Member

I shot my first IDPA match on Sunday. My XD9 performed flawlessly. I wish I could say the same for my shooting ability. No PE"s FTN of FTDR just need to work on my aim.
    All in all I had a real fun time and even thou I didn't know anyone else there they were all friendly and very helpful. I will be doing this again.
    :metal2:

15. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Congrats and Welcome to the XD Firearms Forum Flas61 !!

16. Hammer

Hammer New Member

I'm thinking of joining IDPA but the only gun I have is my XD sc w/3" barrel. Anyone have experience using something similar?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using XD Forum

17. Balota

I run an XDm 9mm Compact (3.8" barrel). Your subcompact will have a slight disadvantage on the longer shots. The Classifier involves some 20 yard shots from behind a barricade. But the subcompact can still do the job.

You didn't indicate caliber. If you are carrying a 45, your gun would qualify for any of the 3 semiauto divisions. If lower than 45, you would still qualify for either SSP or ESP.

And, if your club does BUG matches, your subcompact would certainly qualify as a BUG.

18. Eisenberg

Eisenberg Eisenberg

I have been shooting IDPA for almost 10 years. When I started there was last, dead last, & me! But at our club's classifier last month I am officially classified as Sharp Shooter! In my opinion, shooting IDPA is mandatory if you are serious about defense carry because you have the chance of shooting under stress (ie, stress of competition) and you will learn the mistakes you will likely make during a real life encounter so you can practice and train accordingly. Eisenberg

19. Hammer

Hammer New Member

I am contemplating starting IDPA. However, I've read several articles and would agree that while IDPA or any comparable program may acquaint the practitioner with shooting under stressful situations, I would submit it is a far, far different situation than a live target who means to end your life or that of your family and you have seconds to decide on tactics. I am told that your methods in a live fire situation may be quite different as well as the rig some people use. And as a famous person once said, (paraphrasing here), "cardboards don't shoot back."
    I do look forward to getting into IDPA as soon as I acquire a larger bounty of ammo. We have a match in the area every weekend. I look forward to finding great tips on this forum as well.
    Cheers

20. badman400

badman400 New Member

I used to shoot IDPA at least once a month. It has been a few years now. I was never the best, but I can say for sure that IDPA is the next best thing to combat training, or a real life event to prepare oneself. And since we can never duplicate that real SHTF situation anyway, why not do the next best thing?

The timer simulates the real life pressure of an event, and the practicing of tactics as in slicing the pie and using concealment, cover and knowing the difference, applies to real world events whether the targets are shooting back or not. In your mind while you are on the course, the "BG" targets ARE shooting back, and you address them as such.

So while we will never duplicate a real life event until it happens, it makes a lot of sense to engage in training on a stage that is quite likely the next best thing for most civilians, and inexpensive enough to be accessible to all. And besides it's great fun and good fellowship with other like minded people. :cool:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014