Leather vs. Plastic

Discussion in 'XD Accessories & Gear' started by TxShooter, Oct 16, 2012.

1. TxShooter

TxShooter New Member

Has anyone ever done a strong comparison study in determing the more efficient holster composite in terms of draw time?

2. shaner

shaner Active Member

id have to say , kydex, over leather ? but with that sais, i own both and i like kydex for compititons , but like leather for daily carry , i use a hume snap over , with the paddle attachment imho

3. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Since I do not fast draw on a regular basis, I never gave the draw time any thought really. I have both leather and kydex holsters, and each is used for various duties as called for that day. I will say that over time, the leather holster will absorb sweat, moisture and subsequent dirt particles, and this will cause more wear to the gun then the Kydex. But since my range holsters are mostly Kydex, and this is where the gun is drawn from a holster the most, I cannot say which would be faster. My IWB holsters are Kydex hybrids, so that the gun can be drawn easily and returned to the holster easily. I will say that in the Fast Draw cowboy comps, they use holsters which are leather hybrids now that incorporate kydex in some of them.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

5. Woody

Woody New Member

I prefer leather myself But used Kholsters crossbreed holster while waiting for my Milt Sparks

6. JimA

JimA New Member

I use leather (Simply Rugged) for my sixguns and Hybrids or Kydex for my semi-autos. I don't quick draw from my leather holsters so I can't really compare that aspect.

7. joey253

joey253 New Member

I'm an LEO and carry kydex. I've carried leather and it looks much nicer but my kydex is easier to clean by far.

8. 1st_lieutenant

1st_lieutenant New Member

Holster

I believe in using the same holster for carry or competition. I believe you want the same feel of the gun in the same spot all the time and the draw point to be in the same place all the time. When you practice do you practice for competition or every day carry. I know alot of gamers that practice for competition. Some of them fire thousands of rounds a practice session. But they carry day to day with a different style holster (usually leather). I have invited them come to the range with their carry holster and draw on a target and they cannot believe they are not as fast or accurate drawing with their carry holster. Im sure you have noticed some leather versus plastic are different in many ways as in height, weight, angle and amount of friction required to draw or holster. I feel it makes a difference, maybe Im wrong.

9. KenW

KenW New Member

I have both, but am slowly switching over to leather.

10. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Desantis now has a new holster lineup for the XDs that looks promising.

- Mini Scabbard®
    - Die Hard Ankle Rig
    - Sof-Tuck
    - Pocket-Tuk
    - Pro-Stealth
    - Tuck-This II®
    - Nemesis®
    - Super-Fly®
    [​IMG]

11. SHOOTER13

Welcome to the XD Forum joey253 !!

12. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

Old school leather baby! I'd never put a 1911/BHP in plastic and detest the so call holster/mag carrier that came with the XDm, they may be cost effective but not for me.

[​IMG]

13. SHOOTER13

Who made that rig Colt45 !?

Looks like sharkskin, or something other than leather.

14. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

Wilson Combat holster/mag carrier in shark skin, didn't spend the extra for the belt.