Light primer strikes

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by ajb, Oct 16, 2012.

1. ajb

ajb New Member

I have an XDm 9mm that I've never had a problem with. I was at an indoor range the other day. I was going to shoot my 1911 in a competition but forgot my mags:eek: They let me borrow an XDm 9mm to use, it wouldn't fire, very light primer strikes. They said it was the second one they had to send back recently.

I suggested a good cleaning but they were just going to send it in. It was new.

Has anyone else been having problems recently.

Mine is about 2 years old and, as I said, never a problem.

2. Richey

Richey USMC - Nor*Cal

Well, here's the thing.... There is a huge dividing line between those who have shot XD's. It divids those who claim it keeps breaking and those who trust their life with it. Unfortunately, the undeniable fact is that there have been a few that have malfunctioned. Depending on which one you get/shoot, you may expirience this and you may not. I am on the side that believes they are very reliable. Glad yours is functioning flawlessly! :D

3. shaner

shaner Active Member

after 5000 rounds ive change the firing pin springs , never had any problem just sort of maintance i guesss

4. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

I would tend to lean toward hard primers in the ammo than a problem with a new gun.
    I had a problem a few years back with 357 Sig ammo. I was shooting a Glock 32, and averaged at least 2 rounds out of every mag had a light striker hit. I ordered a extra power striker spring and the problem was solved. Then along came my XD Service 357 Sig, and it fired the same lot ammo without issues

Just my 2 cents worth.

5. ajb

ajb New Member

We thought about that but it was my handloads which work fine in my XDm and they ran fine in the M & P 9mm that I ended up using.

I was just wondering if this had become a common problem, I'm guessing it isn't.

6. dondavis3

dondavis3 XD .45 Tactical

True be told -

You can get light strikes in any brand of gun.

I've gotten them in Sig Sauers & Glocks - not often but sometimes.

I blamed it on hard primers - because some ammo has harder primers than others.

JMHO

:cool:

7. JimA

JimA New Member

If it was new,I'll bet they didn't give it a good cleaning before they started renting it out. I have cleaned all kinds of crud out of brand new pistols. I have seen striker channels full of grease and even burrs of polymer that never got cleaned out. Most gun ranges spend very little time cleaning their rentals.

8. TheFuzz

TheFuzz Twinkie, Twinkie, Cupcake

There are lots of factors that can go into a malfunction, but I'd tend to agree that a close eye needs to be trained on the ammo before blaming the gun. I've had hard primers appear even on expensive match ammo. It happens.

They said it was the second one that they've had to send back? For the same issue, or something else? Did they elaborate? Without being there it's hard to know whether or not the actual gun is the issue, or if it has something to do with the folks renting them out...

9. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

I thought about that also Fuzz. I seen several "he men" limp wrist a semi automatic pistol, causing it to malfunction.

10. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

Another thought - I've had a Ruger LC9 develop a refusal to set off the primer and the gunsmith found a little chunk of a primer in the firing pin channel. Could be there was some debris like that in the channel?

11. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

Alway possible. I wouldnt rule it out. Alot of crud in the firing pin channel could do it.

12. TheFuzz

TheFuzz Twinkie, Twinkie, Cupcake

Yep. It might be worth checking the striker channel before sending it off. Takes all of 10 seconds to pull it out.

13. Taxman

Taxman Taxman

I am having this problem with my XDs. Have not ruled out user error yet. I am getting some off center striker hits, and many incomplete cylcing (shell removal & reload new). Spoke with SA and received some cleaning suggestions. Still working on isolating problem to user, magazines, or ammo.