Mossberg Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Oct 16, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

This thread is dedicated to the firearms of O.F. Mossberg & Sons...

=======================================================

The 500 series comprises widely varying models of hammerless, pump action repeaters, all of which share the same basic receiver and action, but differ in bore size, barrel length, choke options, magazine capacity, and "furniture" ( stock and forearm) materials.

[​IMG]

Pictured above is my Mossberg 500 Cruiser chambered in 12 gauge. I have it configured with a pistol grip, but also own a full length stock.

2. 911JB

911JB New Member

Lets see them Mossys!

My 500s.

[​IMG]

3. 911JB

911JB New Member

Mossberg 500 20g, rifled & ported barrel, w/ 3-9x32 scope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  4. SHOOTER13

Nice "shots" JB...!!

5. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

If I were to buy a first shotgun (Mossberg is my current favorite) to use for skeet and general bird hunting, what would be the one I should look at first? So many options. I am thinking a long barrel 12 gauge that will take 3" shells if desired.

6. SHOOTER13

Yes...a 12 gauge chambered for 3" shells is the norm...with an over and under the best for trap, skeet and sporting clays

while a nice double or even an auto loader with at least 26" barrels for upland birds and turkey. Mossberg, Remington, Winchester,

Ithaca, Browning, Stoeger...all make great guns for these purposes.

7. shaner

shaner Active Member

look at one of mossbergs combo's , a 28 or 30 in barrel will do any bird or sport shooting u want, and a slug barrel for the rest of the hunting, or even home defense, just shy away from the rifled slug barrel unless u want to get serious on slug hunting

8. 911JB

911JB New Member

I agree shanner. I would lean towards the 28" barrel, with a vent rib & double bead and the acuchoke system with at least the full and mod chokes. If the OP is a turkey hunter then add a turkey tube and that should cover most of the bases.
    When it comes to the slug barrel, while I personally would never go back to a smooth barrel, I also would say a smooth barrel. That is if the OP just plans on ocasionally deer hunting.
    Myself, I use a rifled, ported barrel on all my scoped deer guns. i prefer the nice tight 3" groups [@100 yards] of a rifled barrel over those 6"-9" groups you usually get out of the smooth barrels. At $2.50 cents a shell for the sabots I use it costs a bit more to use, but I feel it is worth every penny. Then again, as you said, I am very serious about my deer hunting.

9. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I don't have a shotgun for hunting, I don't hunt, but if a two legged animal should break into my house I would most likely go for my Mossberg. The picture is of the weapons that go into my BUG OUT bag. The Colt just below the Mossberg is taken just for safe keeping.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  10. SHOOTER13

Just purchased this Mossberg 590A1 at the PA NG Armory Gun Show in NE Philadelphia on 5/17/2014...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specifications:

Gauge: 12
    Chamber: 3"
    Capacity: 9
    Barrel: 20"
    Sights: Ghost Ring
    Stock: Black Synthetic
    Choke: Cylinder Bore
    Barrel Finish: Parkerized
    LOP: 14"
    Overall Length: 41"
    Weight: 7.25 lbs
    Packed for Shipment: 5/7/2014

I'll be first in line at the gun range tomorrow...!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  11. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Nice looking anti intruder instrument :waving:

12. SHOOTER13

Thanks Ed...

Shot 100 rounds of different types ( bird shot / buck shot / slugs ) high brass / low brass from different manufacturers this morning...

The M590A1 functioned perfectly...!! :D

13. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

Sounds like a great morning :rotate:

14. blackwolffcf

blackwolffcf New Member

Here is mine.

Maverick 88 by Mossberg 20ga. Ive added the Magpul SGA Stock, and the Magpul Forend (Heavily modded to fit because it was designed for a 7 3/4" action slide tube, not the 6 1/2" Tube on the Maverick 88 20ga), and Chopped the barrel down to 18.625". It was already chopped to 20" when I got it, a true hacksaw job if I ever saw one. Also installed the Hi-Viz TriViz fiber optic sights on the barrel (yes, I shoot slugs)

Next step is to get a Haley Strategic/Inforce WML and get the receiver and barrel Cerakoted in Kryptek highlander.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  15. SHOOTER13

Ontario M9 Bayonet for the Mossberg 590A1...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Looks great SHOOTER!!!!!!!

17. SHOOTER13

Thanks Pancho...!!

18. blackwolffcf

blackwolffcf New Member

Nice!!!!!!!! :shooting:

19. tazo2503