XD Forums banner

NEVER buy a AR-15 in 7.62x39

46K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  CallMaker 
#1 ·
Unless its just for fun or to say you have one.

The AR platform does NOT like the taper in the 7.62x39 round. I would put it at 60-70% reliable.. Feed issues constantly, some mags are better then others but with all the searching I have done NOBODY has or knows of a 7.62x39 AR mag they would trust their LIFE with.

Some had had good luck with select mags or by grinding/polishing mags but still at about 80-90%

NOT a happy camper !!!!!

#2 ·
Thanks for the heads up.
Don't have an AR in 7.62x39 but do have an AK that eats 7.62x39 any kind any time, every time.

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up.
Don't have an AR in 7.62x39 but do have an AK that eats 7.62x39 any kind any time, every time.

NOT a problem, dont want anybody to waste money like I did lol

Is your an Arsenal ?? My buddy has a SLR 101 and in 2 years of us heavily shooting together he has NEVER had 1 issue at all. NO failures of any kind and thats what Im looking for !!!

Not sure IF Im going to pick up a AK or switch to a .223 upper. I do KNOW it will NOT be a armalite due to the way my "issue" was dealt with by armalite. I really love the AR platform and like the 7.62x39 round and its cost lol but combined together SUCKS !!!

#4 ·
NOT a problem, dont want anybody to waste money like I did lol

Is your an Arsenal ?? My buddy has a SLR 101 and in 2 years of us heavily shooting together he has NEVER had 1 issue at all. NO failures of any kind and thats what Im looking for !!!

Not sure IF Im going to pick up a AK or switch to a .223 upper. I do KNOW it will NOT be a armalite due to the way my "issue" was dealt with by armalite. I really love the AR platform and like the 7.62x39 round and its cost lol but combined together SUCKS !!!

Mine is a Saiga (true Russian AK)

#6 ·
Im taking it into a local gunsmith today to see if there is anything he can do for it. I hope he can do something but IF not it is going to the local gun show next weekend and Im going to trade it for a AK, SKS or AR in .223

#8 ·
Go AK ~~~~ centurion Polish - trade ya 3 tango

* yes i know lean in and stock in shoulder 3 Tango - =P
Now your learning :D
Gotta stay with the Russian.

#9 ·
Im taking it into a local gunsmith today to see if there is anything he can do for it. I hope he can do something but IF not it is going to the local gun show next weekend and Im going to trade it for a AK, SKS or AR in .223
If your going .223 get an AR.

#10 ·
If your going .223 get an AR.

Ya I seen a AK in .223 and thought about being totally ass backwards and having a AR in 7.62x39 and a AK in .223:eek:

I did some more research/testing and found some stuff out. seems it IS a mag/feed issue and there are some mags out that work.

I have 2 mags to try out. They are basically a 10 rd AR top half and a AK lower half. They are made by USA mags for Colt. IF Colt is willing to put their name on it then it must be good lol

#11 ·
Egypitian Maddi (built on Russkie machinery) runs flawlessly and looks like a 6 year old painted it:confused: SKS's run like champs as well. Hell so does my lowly DPMS 5.56,eats every round I've ever put in it.

#12 ·
ya Im gonna pick up a SKS before they get even more expensive. Been thinking on it a while now and I need a good solid back up.

I would switch to a .223/5.56 but uppers and parts are crazy expensive right now. Plus all my stockpile of ammo is in 7.62x39 and .223 is very hard to come by and expensive as hell when it does lol.

I really really hope the better mags fix the problem as I almost have it set up completely how I want it. Reflex dot sight, back up flip up sights, single point sling and a few K of rounds laying around lol Just need better mags and a new HD buffer spring.

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
HOLY **** WHAT A DIFFERENCE A MAG CAN MAKE !!!!!!

I have yet to get to actually shoot it due to a severe sprain in my right wrist. However the new mag loads way easier and unloads way way easier. I can also cycle the action and empty the mag with NO jams.

I did notice one new issue. After I cycled all 20 rds and picked them up I noticed a very light primer strike on almost every primer.:confused:

#16 ·
Jayson,
The dent in your primer could be a result of slap or slam fire. If your gun has a free floating firing pin it will slide back and forth in the bolt and will touch the primer. In heavy hand loads it is possible to cause the gun to rapid fire. My SKS has done this one time. I plan to replace my bolt with one with a spring loaded firing pin.

#17 ·
AK47/AK74 magazines are curved for a reason...feeding reliability of the Russian 7.62 / 5.45 ammo.
yep !! thats why I went to a AR/AK hybrid style mag and now have no issues.:D

AK mag sticking out of a AR is a lil different looking, I will have to get pics of it IN the gun.

Jayson,
The dent in your primer could be a result of slap or slam fire. If your gun has a free floating firing pin it will slide back and forth in the bolt and will touch the primer. In heavy hand loads it is possible to cause the gun to rapid fire. My SKS has done this one time. I plan to replace my bolt with one with a spring loaded firing pin.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!!!!

Yes its a floating firing pin system, No spring in the bolt carrier group.

At least it is not a "issue" I will have it in mind every time I cycle it tho lol

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
7.62x39 AR-15

I built an AR15 7.62x39 and with a few mods it works perfectly. First you need to have the M4 feed ramps and do some slight grinding and polishing on them. Mags by ASC 30rd stainless need slight grinding with a dremmel tool in certain areas, firing pin needs approx. .010-0.20 taken off the front of the back shoulder. Steel case/russian ammo has a thicker primer so this needed to be done for more penetration. With a little patience and common sense she works flawlessly. I even have her sighted in at 100 yards with a red dot on it.. Good luck

Attachments

#19 ·
Good looking rifle and welcome GracelandPro.
Thanks for the write up.

#21 ·
USA mags are the way to go !!! Wish they were still around !!

3-30 rd mags and 1-20 = 110 rounds DUMPED:D

Did this 4 times to equal 500 rds and the ONLY issue was MY fault. I put 28 in one and 32 in the other 30 rd mags and the overloaded mag did jam ONCE.

only one FTF in 500rds and it was my bad. This was with TULA steel cased spam can ammo.

So all in all 8 months later all the bugs are worked out and Im really happy with the 7.62x39 AR lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.