Range Bags - Got A Favorite?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SeventiesWreckers, Dec 1, 2012.

1. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

There are many suppliers these days, and an offering of many fine products to choose from. I'm still using the same old equipment that I've been using, and can't really justify getting a new pretty one, when my old ones are still hanging in there though.

I like to use heavy duty canvas bags that won't come apart. My favorite bag is an old news cameraman's bag I found in a thrift store for ten bucks. It's cirica 1990's and made by OGIO, which is a top end manufacturer of assorted high quality bags, and is still in business. I started using Musette bags as part of the Marine Corps pack system, to replace the "Butt Pack". They've been around since WWII, and you can still find them in Surplus stores, and reproductions are sold online. I have some heavy canvas tool bags that linemen use for pole climbing, they are good for tools, ammo, & heavy stuff. Pretty much impossible to rip one apart. All these bags can be loaded to the point that they are too heavy to easily carry, and still won't tear or come apart. I still check out thrift stores for bags, and some of the better finds are pre digital camera bags, when people carried big heavy lenses for their SLR's. They are padded & usually well made too. Here are some pics of mine, I'm sure there are some out there that are much nicer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jayson

jayson New Member

came with my NRA membership. works great, I have looked at some really nice ones but its hard to justify spending that kind of cash to replace a perfectly good range bag lol

Attached Files:

3. SeventiesWreckers

Now that's a nice one, and I hear ya on the expense.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I have about a dozen of these Musset Bags...use them to hold everything from

ammo to spare mags to first aid materials to road flares to lunch...1001 uses !!

Walk into a gun show and it's what I use to carry what I pick up cruising the aisles...

[​IMG]

5. SeventiesWreckers

I think I have 4 right now. Always looking for more 'cause people borrow mine for prolonged periods of time. I liked them very much as a butt pack to hang under the old rutsack/blanket roll packs before the ALICE pack was adopted.

6. bmstylee

bmstylee New Member

I like my Midway USA one. Works good. Lots of space.

7. SHOOTER13

I like the musset because it's just big enough...

Hell, I can squeeze a few mussets into a North Face Back Pack

and still have room for my spare socks and shave kit.

8. SeventiesWreckers

I'll confess that I still use quite a bit of the old WEB gear. Kind of mix & match, The new North Face backpacks are sweet, much better than the old rucksacks, but I still roll & strap tie a blanket roll & poncho over the Backpack. And I use the old 1944 metal canteens, & canteen cups, with the cloth carry cover. WEB belts too. Oh Well, Old Dogs ya know.

9. SHOOTER13

Heard that SW...!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  10. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Got several, some came with items I bought.
    I guess my favorite is the middle one (more of a bugoutbag) but holds the Bushmaster 308, the H&K MP5A5, several pistols and lots of magazines and cleaning equipment, plus you can hang accessories on the outside.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  11. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

My favorite is a 1970 Packmayr 3 gun range box with spotter scope that I keep just to remind me of how things have changed in the gun world over the years. I use a Midway Pro Series bag that allows me to keep my range trips fairly organized.