Resistance

Discussion in 'Politics and Religion' started by threetango, Jan 2, 2013.

1. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Here's what the Feinswine wants.

A sweeping proposal that would ban 120 specific firearms and “certain other” rifles, handguns and shotguns, plus thumbhole rifle stocks and force the registration of pre-ban semiautomatic rifles under the National Firearms Act has been unveiled by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and ignited a fury across gun rights Internet forums.
    The proposed ban on so-called “assault weapons” has gun owners hopping mad at Northwest Firearms here and here, Defensive Carry, The High Road and Gun Rights Media, for example. A perennial anti-gunner, Sen. Feinstein had apparently been drafting a measure since September, but has used the Dec. 14 Sandy Hook Elementary school tragedy to get traction.
    Feinstein’s “wish list” proposal is now posted on her website. Here are the provisions:
    Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
    o 120 specifically-named firearms
    o Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic
    o Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds
    Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:
    o Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test
    o Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test
    o Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address attempts to “work around” prior bans
    Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.
    Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:
    o Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment
    o Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting purposes and
    o Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons
    Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:
    o Background check of owner and any transferee;
    o Type and serial number of the firearm;
    o Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    o Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    o Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration
    In addition, according to her website, persons who already own firearms that would be on the ban list can retain them so long as they go through a federal registration process, same as owners of fully-automatic weapons and other “NFA” weapons.
    "The Feinstein bill Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

• Background check of owner and any transferee;
    • Type and serial number of the firearm;
    • Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;
    • Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and
    • Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration."
    Gun owners fear that registration is a prelude to confiscation at some later date. Independent blogger Mike Vanderboegh weighs in here.
    While the “Guns Save Lives” website has already declared the measure “dead-on-arrival,” there is no guarantee that this will be the case. President Obama has given anti-gun Vice President Joe Biden a deadline in mid-January to come up with proposals to address gun violence, and there is little doubt that a ban on so-called “assault weapons” will be high on the list of priorities.
    One feature of Feinstein’s proposal is a ban on “thumbhole stocks.” These are in wide use, primarily as a cosmetic feature that helps a shooter stabilize a rifle or shotgun during discharge. They are popular with varmint and predator hunters, and target shooters.
    Another tenet of the Feinstein package is to ban the “bullet button,” which is described by Gene Hoffman at the Calguns Foundation as a device that “turns a detachable magazine rifle into a fixed magazine 10 round rifle so that it can retain features while allowing the magazine to be removed with a tool to clear jams or reload.” This applies to current California law.
    “It's ironic that they don't practically want firearms limited to 10 rounds,” Hoffman said via e-mail.
    Including handguns in the mix with a single “military characteristic.” There is no definition of what such a characteristic might be, but it sets off alarms that handgun owners might be ensnared because their pistols have such features as accessory rails, tritium sights, a threaded barrel for a compensator or suppressor, or even lanyard rings; all features that have been found on military pistols in recent years.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

2. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I am quite sure that everyone will run out and register their guns without a fight, why do I say this? I don't see many law abiding gun owners putting up any type of resistance. I would bet there are not 20 members of this forum that have made an attempt to contact their representatives by any means. Each and every member of my family has e- mailed all of our Florida representatives and voiced their concerns on many occasions. It will be our guns first, to eliminate any means of resistance, to allow the present administration to circumvent/repeal/amend the constitution without the fear of rebellion by the masses. When the day arrives I will surrender my guns only after I have given them all of my 30K+ bullets and while doing so think back on how we allowed them to take our guns without a fight. My signature has lost it's meaning and I am sure Abraham Lincoln has turned over in his grave.