Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'XD Accessories & Gear' started by Balota, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

My EDC is an XDm 9mm Compact. My current holster is a fanny pack. Been wearing it with a full 19 round spare mag for 3-4 months now and getting a lot of low back pain. I've left the spare mag out a few days and it seems quite a bit better.

Even so, I'm thinking about switching to IWB. A lot of my carry time is commuting to/from work, but I can't carry at work. Pretty sure they don't want me wearing an empty holster either. So, I need a holster that's pretty easy to take off when I get to work. I can lock the gun up in the car and in a NanoVault. Also, I want a holster that's not going to jab me to death while driving.

My normal clothing is business casual, which means no jeans and tucked in shirts. I do not normally wear a sport coat or jacket other than for cold weather. (Summers here in Tulsa don't require much of any jackets! :) ) I am willing to make some changes in clothing if necessary.

OK, so I'm dreaming the impossible dream. Any dream makers out there? I'm looking for any (useful) advice on the subject.

2. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Yes get a crossbreed minituck for your gun. So very comfy and made for tucking in your shirt as well. Get the Horsehide..softer and more pliable than cowhide and it provides better sweat protection too. This holster is made to wear at 3-5 oclock. If you wear in front such as 1 oclock or 11 oclock appendix carry, check out Harwell holsters..also tuckable.

3. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

4. jayson

jayson New Member

My EDC is the same gun only I run the small mag with a grip extension. I carry ALL day car/work. Im a small guy and its very hard to hide anything bulky.

I have a uncle mikes IWB and a AKAR tuckable IWB. The uncle mikes is very small/thin/cheap holster. Im looking for something "more quality" then the uncle mikes but it works and fits so well its been very hard. Im not a fan of leather/hide being stuck to my side all day. just seems HOT/Sticky

I carry on right hip about 3:30- 4 o'clock and cant even feel it in the car, and hardly even notice it at work.

5. XDs45IWB

XDs45IWB New Member

As a new concealed carrier my self, I'm finding that holster type and carry style/position is more difficult than choosing the firearm :eek:. I just started to use a Remora 6ART to carry my XDs IWB.
    http://remoraholsters.com/

So far, I like the Remora, but in my case IWB will require a modification to how I dress and I'm still trying different IWB locations. Strong side @ 4 o'clock seems to be where I'm most comfortable.

6. Balota

That location is probably where I'd carry IWB, 4 o'clock or so. But if I have it tucked in, how do I get the shirt clear of the gun? Reach around with left hand to half way behind my right hip? Pull with right hand then reach again for the gun?

I'm a little leery of "researching" on YouTube after seeing some of the nonsense there. Thought I'd ask a bunch of folks who probably know! :)

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

8. Balota

Interesting product. They give a link to a review in Concealed Carry magazine. The review includes some pictures showing the steps in the draw process. But the pictures show two things that didn't make sense to me.

First, the writeup says to lift the shirt with the weak hand, but the pictures show the guy doing so with the strong hand. Second, the writeup says 3, 4 or 5 o'clock is the preferred position, but the pictures show the holster around 1 o'clock.

My main concern is how to use my weak hand to pull my shirt out when the holster is around 4 o'clock. I'm looking for advice on this if anyone can help me on it.

As I think through the process, I'm starting to wonder how you are supposed to re-holster with one hand at that location.

I'm sure there are good references and YouTube videos by competent gunmen. I'm also sure there are some amazingly BAD examples on YouTube. (Hey, maybe that's a new ongoing thread "Don't Try This At Home"...and attach our favorite "Are You Kidding Me?" YouTubes...) Anyway, can someone point me to some of the good references?

9. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

I use a DeSantis Tuck This for my EDC holster, comfortable for all day and easy on /off .It is a shirt tuckable, adjustable cant holster that has a beltclip I use without a belt most days.

10. Balota

I went to Wanamachers Gun Show in Tulsa yesterday. Found a booth for Old Faithful Holsters. Their product is a tuckable leather/kydex holster. The leather is thicker and appears to be treated to resist moisture (sweat). Only worn it half a day. I'll let you all know after break in how it feels. Thanks for the comments.

11. Kano

Kano Junior Member