Small vs Big blackstrap on XDs

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by XDs45IWB, Oct 28, 2012.

1. XDs45IWB

XDs45IWB New Member

I planned on installing Talon grip tape on my XDs today. However, I've seen some posts about people shooting the XDs better with the smaller blackstrap (BS). So I figured I better do a study & determine which blackstrap is better for me before the tape goes on.
    First I punched out the BS retaining pin & left it on the bench. Then I mounted 2 six inch targets (with 5,6,7,8,9,10 scoring rings) side by side, 10 yds down range. The left target was for sm BS, right for lrg BS. I shot one grp of 6 @ lft target with sm BS, switched to lrg BS & shot a grp of 6 @ the rt target. Repeated this 4x, took mental notes, and added up the scores. Temp was 47°, windy & bare hands.
    Objective results: S.O.B., same amount of hits on both targets and total score was the the same! But, there was more spread around the whole circle with the small BS than there was with the large BS. With the larger I had more of a triangle from center, straight down the Y axis, and over to the lower right quad.
    Subjective data: the larger felt better. Larger took less time, effort & concentration to grip, and my follow-ups seemed faster. The small stung the web between thumb & forefinger more, and bit into the fat my palm more & I played with my finger placement more.
    Conclusion: while I eventually adjusted & got better with the small BS, I choose the larger because I was more consistent & less distracted. Bottom line, I chose the larger because it just felt right. And yes, I installed the Talon grips, but I haven't shot with them yet.

2. boombah

boombah New Member

I like the bigger back strap as well, and I have small hands! The smaller back strap felt awkward. Just my take on it.

3. Wisconman

Wisconman New Member

Haven't tried shooting my XDs either way yet, but the smaller back strap feels more natural to me, just holding the gun. I have small hands, so perhaps that is part of it, but the larger, more curved back strap seems to "dig" into my palm more and I think that might make recoil more uncomfortable. I would note that I do not like the curved mainspring back strap on my 1911s either and much prefer the straight ones, so that is probably an influence on me as well.

Jim R