Taurus / Rossi Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Oct 16, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

This thread is dedicated to all owners of the Taurus / Rossi line of firearms...

==================================================

Pictured below is my newest toy...a Taurus / Rossi Ranch Hand.

It is a lever action repeating pistol holding 6 in the tubular mag...+1 in the chamber and will shoot both the .44 Magnum and .44 Special cartridge from it's 12" barrel. Overall length is 23 1/2" and it weighs in at 4 lbs. The metal is a matte blue and the furniture is made from Brazilian hard woods.

[​IMG]

2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Nice Ranch Hand ya got there SHOOTER13.

Here is my Taurus 24/7 in .45 acp. Gun works great, shots about 5 inches low. Have to compensate for the diference by holding right over the mark. Ihave found this is true with other Taurus guns with these sights. I have one auto with adjusable sights and it shoots where I want it to

The pistol is an SA/DA with a dec0cker. You can SA or DA on the first round and SA on the rest. It does have second strike capability or more if needed. Gun is light. Kinda getting use to the poly guns cause I have been use to heavier steel frame guns. 12+1 rounds, fixed 3 dot ssights.

Anyway, the 24/7 was meant to be a combat auto, so the sights have to be comvering the point of impact. It is not so bad, just not the way I am use to it.

[​IMG]

3. SHOOTER13

Mucho gracias amigo...

4. shaner

shaner Active Member

ranch hand!!!!! i want one in 45lc

5. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Here Come da Judge

My Judge (Public Defender) 410/ 45 Long Colt.

[​IMG]

6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Nice big bore snubbie ya got there threee tango.

7. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

A little old Rossi Mod. 70 in .22 cal. Picked it up in a trade at a gunshow a couple of months ago. So far it has been great with Fed brand blulk pack and Fed Lightning brand. Doesn't like much of anything else.

It is a 6 shot, 3" barrel, fixed sight revolver. Very much a copy of a J frame S&W. Those are a set of rubber Pachy grips on it from a J frame ,Smith.

[​IMG]

8. threetango

Handsome little shooter. :D

9. Jeff56

Jeff56 New Member

I have a PT-145 that I wouldn't sell for double what I paid for it (and I bought it new). I've put 5000 rounds through it (at least) and it's never had a single malfunction. It's accurate as heck and it's a great CCW gun. Plus it holds 10+1 .45 ACP rounds at a time. Then there's that whole lifetime warranty thing. I realize not all Taurus handguns are as good as mine but mine has been perfect and I expect it to stay that way for a good while. I've been carrying my SA XDm .40 mainly because I like the higher capacity but I still carry the Taurus at times.
    You know some handguns are made to aim that way don't you? There are different philosophies on how a gun should be aimed. As long as I can find something to give me a correct reference I'm good to go. It usually takes me a single round to figure out how a gun aims then from there it's easy unless it aims off to the side (canted sights are NOT a purpose made design).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  10. shaner

shaner Active Member

hows that polymer to shoot , ive had 2 of the PD models , liked them alot, they were the stanless and blued , just didnt care for the wieght

11. threetango

At 23 oz's it's about 5 oz's lighter than the steel and that's a considerable savings when carrying. As far as shooting it I have no problems with it's weight and my wife even likes to shoot it if that tells you anything.
    I like to carry it it my Jeep or car.
    It was pretty well recognized early on as an ideal car jack repellent.
    If someone jerks open your car door and immediately gets a face full of birdshot, he will suddenly have a change of priorities. :D

12. JohnnyB

JohnnyB New Member

Rossi and Taurus have received lots of negative publicity over the years but I tell you what, I have a Rossi 357 snubbie that has had many rounds thru it. She still locks up tight and the timing is perfect.

I also have a Rossi rifle in 223 that will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards.

13. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

I am glad ya like your PT145. I had one for 3 years before I got the 24/7. Also tried the PT1911 in .45 acp. And I happened to pick up 2 different PT638 HiCap .380s last year. They all shot low to some extent. The worst was the PT1911 at just over a foot low at 10 yds. And that was with the usual hold for the Taurus sights of right over the target. All the guns worked perfectly. never had any kind of hangup. Just kinda low.

Kinda miss the PT145. It was a great carry gun and was much the same size as a buddy's Glock 9 mm compact with a way bigger payload. The one I have been looking at is the PT745 cause I expectied it to be thinner. I have not been able to find one at any of the area store. Got no gun stores here and I don't buy internet stuff. Prefer used if I can find it. Idid compare the PT145 with a PT140 at Academy Sports. Not mcuh difference in thickness to make much difference in the carry. So, if anothe used PT145 turns up at a gunshow, I will probably pick it up unless I find the 745 first.

Here is an old PT 99AF that I got cheap off an old guy at a gunshow for a couple of bills. He said he could not hit anything with it. It's a 9mm like the Beretta and even has grips on it that are marked Beretta. Old guy said that was the way it was when he got it. It shot a foot low and 8" to the right and 10 yds. Guess he had never adjusted the sights. This one has adjustable sights so it is now right over the POA, like I like it.

[​IMG]

14. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Another one for you revo lovers. Here is a Taurus Mod. 85 in .38 special. this guns has a 3" heavy barrel, 5 shots, and rounded wood grips. I got it for my F in law about 15 years ago. Put 5 rounds of JHPs in it and gave him a box of target wadcutters. he carried it with him in his RV back in the late 90s.
    He is in the nursing home now and I got the gun back with the same 5 rounds I put init and the box of target ammo.

[​IMG]

15. opaww

opaww Banned

Here is my carry .38 spl.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  16. SHOOTER13

Nice specimens gentlemen...!!

17. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Here is another Taurus revo I snagged at the gunshow kinad cheap. It is a used Modle 82. The equivalent of a S&W Mod 10 with a heavy barrel. It is an old model 82 with a skinny hammer. Gun is 4" heavy barrel, 6 shot .38 spl, DA/SA, fixed sights and had some fugly refinished wood grips on it.

I know the guy that sold it to me. He had come by the table complaining that no one had bought the gun at the show. He had tried 2 bills and was down to 150. I passed it too, but made an offer of 80 bucks. i figured he would go down to a bill after a while. Told him to come back with his best offer. He came back and said he had been offered a bill. i told him that was B.S. cause he would not have come back for my 80 dollar offer. He finally settled for 90 bucks. O.K. for me.

Other than some nicks, blue wear, and the fugly grips, the gun looked good. Locked up tight. Put some Pachy rubber Gripper grips on it from a K frame S&W and they went right on. took it out today and put a few cylinders of my 160 gr hard cast handloads at @ 950 FPS and they went right into a 3' group at 10 yds, right to POA. They were just a bit tot he left. Some 150 JHPs handloaded to about the same velocity went just under the black at the POA. Good enough for me to use around the rancho.
    [​IMG]

18. shaner

shaner Active Member

you know what i was using in my PD is i reload the 45colt shot shells in #8 shot, using trail boss powder , wow sure is nice , they equal out to a 185gr bullet

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  19. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

That's a healthy load of birdshot Shaner.

20. phatspeed7x

phatspeed7x New Member

My Taurus 608 6.5" .357 magnum with Hogue grip...

[​IMG]