The Combat Shotgun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by threetango, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

Good article. I agree that the shotgun is an overlooked item in the area of home defense.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

My first long arm was a shotgun...I now own three !!

3. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Good article. My two favorite shotguns for HD is my Mossberg Persuader and a 1966 Ithaca 37. When there is a thump in the night I grab one of the two first......:D

4. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

Mine are old school Winchester Model 12's, I do like the pre 70's Ithaca 37's, just don't have one presently. Other members in the household that are ex Military, have a few of their own. Mossberg & Remington 870's mostly. All the kids & grand kids are adults, and have acquired firearms suited to their tastes. We shoot together often, which is nice.

One of my Model 12's stays just inside the door to the dining area. The strap bag is an old .223-5.56 ammo stripper clip carrier from the 70's. It holds a box of 12 Ga. with some room to spare, & the Maglite is handy in a wall mount. Business as usual around here. Someone is always home, and the guns are always at the ready.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. SHOOTER13

Geez SW...that rack in the first pic looks like it belongs in a torture chamber... ;)

Let's see...hatchet (check ! )...handcuffs (check ! )...maglite (check ! )...black hoodie (check ! )...

earmuffs, so you don't hear 'em scream (check ! ) :D

6. SeventiesWreckers

But wait.... There's more.... Under the black shirt there's a S&W 629 w/2 speed loaders hanging in a shoulder holster. And a Estwing rock hammer on the floor out of frame of the pic. The whole house is stacked up the same way. It's just a natural progression as you get older, the kids grow up & get their own, then times get tough & some of 'em move back for awhile...... I've got some extended family here too, until they can save up for another house, and they bring all their accumulated weapons of course. It gets a little busy, but we all get along just fine. Pretty like minded around here. We just run out of places to stash stuff & some of it spills out a bit.

I've had the cuffs for a couple of decades, just in case someone wants to surrender you know. Shows I'm willing to negotiate.

Here's the 629 peeking out.

[​IMG]

7. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A thoroughly dangerous man. ;)

8. SeventiesWreckers

Just keepin' the faith & still in the race. I'm restoring an antique reapers scythe right now. Or, I guess some folks call them Sling Blades, thanks to Billy Bob Thornton. It should go nice in the living room when I'm done. But that's for the knives & edged weapons thread. Better get back to Shotguns.

9. SHOOTER13

What I tell ya 3T...he's scaring me now !!

Good call on the 629...how much barrel !?

I got me a 4"...and no, I'm not braggin' ;)

10. SeventiesWreckers

It's a snubby, 2 3/4. One of the special edition models called The Backpacker. Made for Big Mountain, or Big Rock Sports, can't recall the dist exactly. Anyway it's the "Backpacker" Model. Nice shooter too, but a bit long on flames, noise, & recoil. Not that any of that would be a concern if you were gunfighting with a bear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. threetango

That's a nice looking pistola.

Are those Hornady rds ?

12. threetango

Just keep this in mind.

[​IMG]

13. SHOOTER13

That is quite cool lookin' SW !!

...and I do believe they are Hornady LEVERevolution rounds...

.44 Magnum 225 grain FTX...I have a box for my Mare's Leg

14. SeventiesWreckers

Yeah, Hornady LEVERevolution - 225 GR. FTX.

It's a little different to shoot at first. I've had long barrel .44's Magnaported, but never a snubby. The fireball it puts up seems pretty close with the short barrel. But the only thing it really has a negative effect on is the fiber optic front sight. That gets the vent blast pretty good. Other than that it's a nice little shooter.

15. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

As long as they see it your way, right. :D

16. SeventiesWreckers

Yeah, kinda like Henry Ford & the Model T. You can have it in any color as long as it's black.

17. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Have had my Winchester Defender for better than 20 years. Ever ready.

18. threetango

Speaking of Winchester's and combat shotguns, here I am at the K4 circle in Mogadishu with my modified Winchester (Street Sweeper) 12ga with 7 rds OO buck.
    Good for clearing windows or the street ! ;)

[​IMG]

19. SeventiesWreckers

Great pic.