Tulammo or other steel cased ammo

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by rjf1070, Oct 18, 2012.

1. rjf1070

rjf1070 New Member

Has anyone run some tulammo or other steelcased ammo through their XDS??? Results? Thoughts? I'm trying to keep my range cost down

2. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

I do not have an XD, but I have used it in some of my other auto pistols to keep the cost down. It is accurate in some guns and not in others. Can say that I can advise anyone else to use it, but it works for me.

i don't reload any pistol ammo except for .45 acp. I even try to avoid that. Mostly cause I lose all the brass in the grass. I can't see well and I just can't find it. I have a range in the back yard. So I try to stick to the low bucks aluminum and steel case stuff if I can.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Good place here.

3. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

Is there any problem with the steel cartridge casing scraping the chamber walls? Also, is the bullet in the TulAmmo any different composition than a typical US fab cartridge? That is, is there any steel in the bullet itself? Concern about piercing back plates at some ranges.

4. rjf1070

rjf1070 New Member

Thanks guys, I haven't found that the steel case caused any more wear in my other firearms than brass. I've just found that some firearms like it more than others do. For example, my glocks and bushmaster AR15 are just fine with it, but my S&W experiences a FTF every 3rd or 4th round. I had some Blazer once for my glocks and that was a nightmare. repeated FTF and FTE as well.

5. Balota

Thanks! I may have to try a box of it and see if my XDm 9mm Compact will like it. It's liked everything else I've given it.

Followup: Just noticed on FTF XD forum a guy had some jams with steel cased ammo in his XD9SC. Use with caution.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  6. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

I've run a couple hundred rounds of MFS, which is steel case, lead core mild steel jacket with copper wash with very good results. I've shot a bit of norinco mild steel jacket copper wash steel case with ok results, reliable but not very accurate. I haven't shot enough of the tula whatit to have a valid opinion in handguns, but their rifle stuff works just fine, so i can't imagine their handgun ammo is no good.

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I've used steel cased ammo in just about all my firearms...

Usually not as accurate...and usually more dirty...but it works !!

Just not for competition or self defense...

8. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Not in my XDm, but my AK47 eats it like candy. :D

I've heard both good and bad about Tul in pistols but maybe you can try 1 box and see.

9. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

I've never had any problem with steel cased ammo of any brand. Most of it has been Wolf, and yes its kinda dirty, and its not match ammo, but I'm able to hit targets out to 100 yards consistantly, which is just about the limit for these old eyes of mine.

I heard a rumor a few years that the lacquer coating on the steel cased rifle cartridges will melt under rapid fire when the chamber got hot and gum up the chamber. But that was it, just a rumor. I've not had narry a problem with my AK, nor SKS's shooting lacquer coated, steel cased ammo.

Just my two cents worth.

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Wolf now coats their different brands of steel cased ammo with polymer,

in leiu of the lacquer coating and it's perceived problems.

11. rjf1070

rjf1070 New Member

Well, I went to Walmart and bought a box today. I'll give an update after I hit the range. Thanks for all the input.

12. Survivor99

Survivor99 New Member

I love to reload, and especially love shooting my shiny brass ammo that I've reloaded. However, I'm saving all my good brass ammo for a rainy day... LOL I have been shooting Tulammo .45 Automatic ammo lately. I've run at least a thousand rounds of it through my XD and it is quite accurate. Ive never had a misfire or any feeding problems whatsoever. Hey, it's Russian, and it just keeps right on shooting. At less that $15 a box, it beats the heck out of the prices of brass ammo. I practice with Tulammo, and load up for CC with my hot hollowpoint ammo. I like that!

13. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Taking the Saiga AK47 out Saturday morning and burn these up. It eats them like candy.

[​IMG]

14. opaww

opaww Banned

Along time ago when Steel case ammo really hit the market, there was some trouble with it spliting the case when fired. In auto's it sometimes caused the case to stick in the chamber. Today the steel cases are much better with less trouble.

Its just not the greatist ammo but it works

15. rjf1070

rjf1070 New Member

I've now run 150 rounds of Tulammo thur the XDs not one issue. But, there is a hell of a difference though when I'm feeling rich and use the Hornady Critical Defense!! One for plinking, one for defense. Both a good time!

16. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

My 1911, BHP,XDm, AK/SKS's, AR-15 & Makarov pistols love 'em. AR-15 really loves 62gr Silver Bear and Range clean up is made easier HINT big magnet on end of ax handle.

17. Balota

OK, here's a silly, but related, question: Can you reload steel casings?

18. opaww

opaww Banned

No they split to easly

19. agalindo

agalindo New Member

Yes but I wouldn't.
    The gets sticky on the dies, they tend to split and some are berdan primed. Not worth the trouble.

20. bmstylee

bmstylee New Member

I have shot my brother's SKS with tula and no problems. Just a ton of crap comes out of the muzzle after the projectile.