Vintage Military Firearms Thread

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by SHOOTER13, Oct 16, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of vintage military firearms...old World War and Police Action veterans as well as ComBloc survivors of the Cold War.

M1 Garands...Old Remington Rand 1911a1's...Mosin Nagants...SKS's...Winchester 1897 Trench guns...Springfield 1903's

If it fought in a war, please post a picture and tell it's story...

========================================================

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  2. SHOOTER13

M1 Garand

The M1 Garand (officially designated as United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1), was the first semi automatic to be generally issued to the infantry of any nation. Called "the greatest battle implement ever devised" by General George S. Patton, the Garand officially replaced the bolt action M1903 Springfield as the standard servive rifle of the United States Armed Forces in 1936 and was subsequently replaced by the selective fire M14 in 1957.

[​IMG]

Pictured above is my Springfield Armory M1 Garand...manufactured in November 1944. She is pictured with an original M1942 16" bayonet ( very rare...most were cut down to 10" ) and a repo M7 fragmentation grenade launcher.

3. SHOOTER13

P38

Pictured below is my P38 built by Spreewerke GmbH, Metallwarenfabrik, in Berlin/Spandau Germany in 1942 during the second World War. The Spreewerke inspection stamp consisted of an eagle above the number 88 (E/88), but the first 500 weapons made at the Spreewerke factory had Walther inspection stamps which consisted of an eagle over 359 (E/359) . (My specimen has a serial number of 246 and the Walther acceptance stamp E/359). The letters CYQ are the code used to designate construction at the Spreewerke plant, which produced around 285,000 units by the wars end. This specimen is also Wehrmacht stamped with an Nazi eagle over swaztika. The P38 is chambered for 9mm Parabellum and holds 8 rounds in the magazine. She also came with a black semi-hard leather holster that holds an extra magazine.

[​IMG]

4. SHOOTER13

Makarov

The Pistol Makarov (PM) is a medium-size, straight blowback action, frame-fixed barrel handgun. In blowback designs, the only force holding the slide closed is that of the recoil spring; upon firing, the barrel and slide do not have to unlock, as do locked-breech design pistols. Blowback designs are simple and more accurate than designs using a recoiling, tilting, or articulated barrel, but they are limited practically by the weight of the slide. The 9x18mm cartridge is a practical cartridge in blowback-operated pistols; producing a respectable level of energy from a gun of moderate weight and size. The PM is heavy for its size by modern US commercial handgun standards, largely because in a blowback pistol the heavy slide provides greater inertia to delay opening of the breech until internal pressures have fallen to a safe level. Other, more powerful cartridges have been used in blowback pistol designs, but the Makarov is widely regarded as particularly well balanced in its design elements.

[​IMG]

Pictured above is my Cold War relic from the year 1961...an East German Makarov chambered in 9x18mm. She actually shoots pretty good for an old timer...

5. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Wow, those are some really nice guns. I will post some of my stuff too.

6. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Here is a pic of my .British .303 cal. No1 MKIII*. Yeah it is a "Bubba" gun that my F in law got back in the 60s and modified. It is currently in my collection. Bore is perfect and it groups under 1.5" MOA at a hundred with some of my 165 gr. JSP handloads. It has a 4X Simmons on it. Barrel has been shortened for easy use in a deer blind and a gunsmith drilled and tapped the receiver for a Weaver type base.

[​IMG]

7. SHOOTER13

Very nice Pancho_Villa !!

...and Welcome to the XD Forum !!

8. opaww

opaww Banned

OK you are forcing me to show it

My old Military firearm 1851 navy .44 cal

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  9. SHOOTER13

Form, Function, and Beauty...real nice !

10. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Old military stuff? Hmmmmmmmm. I know I have some of that.

Here is a llttle old gun I picked up in a swap. It is a G3 clone. Or H&K 91 clone in .308 if you prefer. It is a G3 kit in a Fed Arms receiver. Wish it was the original H&K 91 I had years ago, but that was one of those stupid trades you always regret.

Works great. Very accurate even with the stiff military trigger. The receiver came with a Weaver type rail on the top. So adding a set of rings and a scope just meant a trip to Wally World. Couldn't do that with the original. Came with 3 large 20 round mags.

Fed Arms 91

[​IMG]

11. opaww

opaww Banned

I really like the cetme its one fine shooting rifle, though mine is real picky about the mags it will except. My sons cetme will use any of the cetme, G3, HK 91 mags with no problems.

Mine only likes cetme mags.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  12. Cobalt

Cobalt New Member

My Russian M-44

I absolutely love this rifle, Fun to shoot as well.

Attached Files:

13. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Love the CETME opaww. Just another form of the H&K 91. Great shooters.

Nice rife ya got there Cobalt. I have had several Nagants. They were all good shooters.

14. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

How about this old Ruskie pistol. It is an 1895 model Nagant revolver. It has a 4" barrel. fixed sights, DA?SA, 7 rounds and probably rearsenalized. Tula marked 1938 manuf. Caliber 7.62X38mm Nagant. Also colled the "gas seal" revolver, the cylinder moves forward against the back of the barrel as the hammer is c0cked, making a seal. The ammo is also strange. The brass protrudes farther than the bullet and and helps to make the gas seal. I have a box of it but have not fired any. Kinda expensive when I can even find any. Most of the time I use .32 Longs. They work, just the cases swell a bit. It can be expensive too, but much easier to find. Some people have even had extra cylinders chambered and fitted to the guns in .32 acp.

[​IMG]

15. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Another strange, old military pistol. Known as the "British Tanker Model" revolver. This is an Enfield N.2 MKI* revolver in .38/200 British, the U>S. equivalent of the .38 S&W with a 148 gr. bullet. The British round used a 200 gr. also known as the "Manstopper." The british round must have been way more powerful cause the U.S. round barely gets .38 spl. target wadcutter ballistics.

The story on thise is that the British tank commanders were using the Webley .38s and compalined about the hammer getting caught on everything in t he tanks. So the Webleys made from the early 30s were suppose tohave been recalled to redo them to the Enfield DA only, hammerless configuration in the late 30s. Guns were blue like this one, so it is an early gun. As the war progressed, the Enfields got fugly. The guns were painted with a black dull finsih starting in about 1942 till the end of WWII.

Gun is DA only with a DA trigger that rivals that of my Nagant revolver in the previous thread. Feels like a 30 lb. pull but is probalby more like 15 lbs.. 5" barrel, 6 shots. breaks open on top toeject andload. brown plastic trips. Suppose tohave a lanyard ring on the bottom. Howver the guy I got it from at a gunshow took the ring off and LOST IT. Haven't been able to loacte one. Gun is fairly accurate with 148 gr. Winch Super X round nose I shot out of it. I expected low hits. It did hit low as the original ammo is suppose to be 200 gr. Very solid gun, probably mid to late 30s in anuf. on this one. Manufacture or modification ran from late 30s to the end of the war by Enfield. There were suppose to be a small number made possibly in a tractor factory in Australia IIRC, @ 350 only and very rare.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  16. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Have 2 Chinese SKS's

One here left of my AK.

[​IMG]

The other in a light color wood.

[​IMG]

17. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

Nice guns ya got there threetango.

18. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I like this oldie.

19. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

email me , i can probably root up a lanyard ring for you. Up here in canada they're far more common. ballistics on the 200 gn round weren't much faster, the thought was the heavy bullet would hit harder. I will have to check but i don't believe it exceeded 750 fps. I've got one with the hammer intact, and a civilian production webley that was taking into service. sigh...i can see i'm going to have to take some pictures

20. 911JB

911JB New Member

Here are a few from over the years.

[​IMG]

The gun that started a world war.
    [​IMG]

This one makes me laugh.
    [​IMG]

My son took this pic while in Basic at Benning.
    [​IMG]

JB