what could have caused this?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by bmstylee, Dec 16, 2012.

1. bmstylee

bmstylee New Member

A friend and i were at a local range. One of the employees showed us this picture. It is.....well was a Rhino revolver. What on earth could have caused that. Squib load maybe? Maybe a hand load gone horribly awry? Bad metallurgy?

Attached Files:

2. SeventiesWreckers

SeventiesWreckers Load Bearing Wall

I'd guess a barrel obstruction. Cylinder looks intact. Barrel looks split & peeled. I shoot Magtech in .44 Mag & .45 ACP. Haven't encountered any bad rounds so far. To get a squib in that short of a barrel the cartridge would have to be nearly empty of powder, like primer only. Something went haywire in the barrel. Over pressure in the cylinder usually blows the cylinder & the backstrap apart, leaving the barrel intact. Rude surprise anyway.

3. JimA

JimA New Member

I agree with SeventiesWreckers... The cylinder is the first thing to go with an over pressure load.

4. bmstylee

bmstylee New Member

Thanks for the input. I am glad I was not behind that when it went boom.

5. bhale187

bhale187 New Member Supporter

Squib or barrel obstruction would be my guess too. Looks like most of the blast stayed high enough that it didn't damage the trigger, thats a good sign for the shooter.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

7. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

Naw, I believe some gang banger tried to shoot it gangsta style and and every one knows you don't shoot an upside down gun upside down.

8. Longslide10

Longslide10 New Member

I concur. Something in the barrel.

9. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

How badly was the shooter injured?

10. bmstylee

bmstylee New Member

Fine just a bit shaken up.