What modifications if any...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by SHOOTER13, Oct 16, 2012.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

What type of modifications, if any, have you made to your Springfield Armory XD...XDm...XDs ?!

Night sights...springs...guide rods...barrels...any modifications that makes your XD a better shooter...please let us know what you did and how it helped.

2. shaner

shaner Active Member

tfo night sights on a few , tfo fiber optic on the girlfriends, extended mag release on 3 of them crimson trace , grip laser, few stainless parts ,also , as in firing pin indicators , and bushing

3. SHOOTER13

Any pics shaner...!?

4. shaner

shaner Active Member

i dont have a cam right now need to spend a few and get one soon, the one i had crapped out and sort of holdin out to get a nice one

5. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

Stainless extended mag release for my Bi-Tone XDSC40.

With the factory release I had to shift my grip to get enough thumb on it to drop the mag.

6. dondavis3

dondavis3 XD .45 Tactical

For my Bi-Tone XDm 5.25
    Bought - Stainless Slide Stop Lever
    Bought - Stainless Disassembly Lever
    Bought - Stainless Mag Release Button
    Bought - Stainless Aluminum Striker Spring Guide
    Bought - Stainless Loaded Chamber Indicator
    Bought - Stainless Extended Grip Safety

[​IMG]

I need a updated picture of the gun after all were installed :D

I enjoy the heck out of this gun.

:cool:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. SHOOTER13

Nice pic Don !!

Your also a NRA Certified Instructor...?

8. dondavis3

Yes I was.

Don't do it much any more.

I'm an instructor with the Police Department too and still do that.

9. SHOOTER13

Mind me asking which PD...?!

10. TheFuzz

TheFuzz Twinkie, Twinkie, Cupcake

I've left my 1911 alone, as it's great in stock trim.

My M&P45 got a Apex duty/carry kit which made a night and day difference in the trigger...stock was horribly vague and gritty.

My XDS is wearing a rubberized Talon grip applique, and will probably get a Powder River extended mag release, TruGlo TFO's, and will be Gunkoted (not sure which color yet, either FDE, Leupold Brown or Titanium Grey). I also polished up the factory trigger bits which made a noticeable increase in smoothness without reducing the pull. Since I'll probably carry it as a back-up on duty, I'm not going to add any aftermarket bits to the trigger.

11. Shooter629

Shooter629 New Member

XD

The only thing I did to my 357 Sig XD, was add Skate board tape. The less you mess with a carry gun, the better off you are.:)

12. SHOOTER13

Welcome to the XD Forum Shooter629 !!

13. dondavis3

@ SHOOTER13

Not at all.

The Colleyville Texas P.D. - between Dallas & Fort Worth.

I was a reserve office there for 5 / 6 years back in the '90's.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  14. SHOOTER13

Nice Don...Been down that way a few times...still own a pair of hand made cowboy boots

I bought in old town...M.L. Leddy's 2455 North Main, Fort Worth, Texas !

15. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

You had good results with the apex kit? I've looked at it wondering if it's worth the cash. Any one else tried it? feedback?

16. Shooter629

Shooter629 New Member

The Apex for the M&P is a great item. I would recommend it, but make sure you have the ( S&W trying to save a penny:eek:) large sear spring and sear spring plunger. S&W will drill an install the new spring an plunger for you, I believe Apex also offers that service as well.

A number of failures have been reported with the smaller sear spring, LE Guns use the larger spring an plungers.:)

17. Shooter629

Shooter629 New Member

Apex email

Found this on the WWW.

Email from Apex
    Good afternoon XXXXX,
    I can't say why the factory didn't do a recall on the guns with the smaller Sear Plungers and springs, but there are a lot of speculations out there that would certainly fit the bill. Aside from their reasoning, the factory has gone to the larger sear plunger and spring and it's now standard on all guns no matter what.

The mass of the smaller sear plunger and spring when compared to the Sear is incredibly tiny, which means that under recoil, the pressure wave that flows through the gun robs the sear spring of it's power momentarily right as the striker is coming forward and the trigger bar is resetting, causing the sear to fail to catch the striker. It's been discovered by he factory that this does not occur with the larger sear plungers because the mass of the sear and spring is much greater, along the lines of 4x the mass of the original.

We're working on new install videos for our existing product lines so we will make sure to mention that in the videos too.

18. Dubbs

Dubbs New Member

Xdm 40. Stainless pin kit. Powder river precision trigger. Haven't shot it since the trigger install. Gotta get some trigger tine in. But I will say the pull is a little better. But trigger travel and reset improved ALOT

19. HuckingFarley

HuckingFarley New Member

I figured this forum would be a good one for me. I have already gained knowledge as how to spend more money on my newly acquired XDs-45. The mag extension is definitely something I will add. Those of you who saw my intro will understand why I would want a better mag release:eek:. Some of the other mods mentioned by Don may be on my shopping list later, but the mag release will not wait for Christmas. Thanks Don for helping me spend my money:).
    Bud
    Semper Fi

20. dondavis3

@ HuckingFarley

Glad to help :D

So many Mods to do - so little money ;)