What to look for in used XDs

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by artbrownsr, Dec 23, 2012.

1. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

I asked this question in a different thread, with no response. As I am looking for the best for the least, I am looking into a used XD/XDS. The question is ,
    What is the weakest link in a used XD? If I'm at a show or pawn shop and come across one what should I be the most aware of besides the normal looking over general maint. of actions etc.?

2. 911JB

911JB New Member

Art, the only issue I have ever heard about with a XD is sometimes after excessive dry firing they may break a striker retainer roll pin. I have never seen it happen but have read about a few instances of this hapening on line.

JB

3. RJB

RJB New Member

i havent heard to many problems with these guns
    but one thing i do check with any used gun is the slide,pull it back and forth make sure theres no clitches or play in it

4. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

I'm with JB, the only issue I've heard of tith the XD is the stricker retaining pin, and thats on the older XD pistols.

5. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

With any problem contact the good folks at Springfield Armory, they'll fix it and pay the shipping usally both ways and make it better than when you bought it. One of the the best Customer support groups out there!

6. RJB

RJB New Member

thats always good to know

7. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Thanks ALL OF YOU, How do you check for the striker pin condition? or is that one of those hidden problems that will only be evident very near failure?
    The information IS NOT deterring me from XD ownership, I just like to have ALL the knowledge possible to meet the challenges head on. " Knowledge is power".

8. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

As I understand, this striker pin problem was due to excessive dry firing. I wouldnt hesitate for a minute buying a pre-owned XD. If I found a problem with it, Springfield Armory will fix it. Its that simple.

9. wmruss

wmruss New Member

Yes,,from what I understand the warranty on used xd handguns will go to the new owner,,now that is what I was told from a rep at springfield. As far as the weapon,,TOTALLY AWESOME SHOOTERS,,ill never buy anything else.

10. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Excellent to know that Springfield will support their products like that I will be looking harder for a good used one as Fred Meyer had XD's from$699.00 for XDM -$559.00 for XDS so I'm gonna look at my local used sources for one for a few bucks less!:)

11. threetango

threetango Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Here's how you replace one and see number 2 on how you can check the pin's condition.

The XD striker retainer pin is the small roll pin you see in the hole in the top of your slide, just forward of your rear sight. This pin holds the striker in place, and is an item that will periodically break and need to be replaced. A new pin only costs a dollar or so, and you can replace it yourself by following these instructions. It probably makes sense to keep a few of these pins on hand.

REMOVAL OF OLD/BROKEN PIN

1. Disassemble slide, per these instructions:

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/slidedisassembly.html

2. Important: Use a 3/32nd roll pin punch, and tap old retainer pin out from the BOTTOM of the slide UPWARD toward top of slide. The retainer pin hole is tapered on the bottom side, so don't tap it out toward the bottom.

REPLACEMENT OF NEW PIN

1. Get a new pin .

2. Place some masking tape on top of your slide around the retainer pin hole to protect the finish while you work.

Squeeze or "crimp" one end of the retainer pin just enough to get it started. Some have had to crimp the pin until the edges were touching.

4. Drive the pin in from the top of slide, either using a regular hammer or mallet alone, or a cupped punch. If you just tap it in with the hammer alone, there's less risk of marring the slide.

5. Once retainer pin is nearly flush with slide, use a drift punch to seat the pin just below the surface of the slide.

Written by Husker

If you want to pick up a reinforced set of 3 for $12 it's worth it .
    I did here.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc;jsessionid=3916D0065715D224D4FC931FDA99E3C6.qscstrfrnt04?productId=32&categoryId=4

3T

12. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

I knew the folks here would give the straight goods, Love this forum!