Who else is a handloader?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by JimA, Oct 17, 2012.

1. JimA

JimA New Member

Who else reloads for their blasters? I have enjoyed reloading for many years and find it almost as enjoyable as shooting. My wife says I shoot just so I can load new ammo. She might be on to something.;)
    I love going to the range and shooting next to guys that toss their empties. I can often get several hundred once fired just for asking.

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 New Member

As a kid, everyone I knew who shot a lot, reloaded. I simply assumed that it was a natural evolution of the hobby. It allows one a lot more flexibility.
    I'm currently set up to reload .380, 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45 acp, .38/.357 & .223/5.56.

3. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

I recently tested (shot) some of my match handloads against Wilson Combat match loads (both in 9mm) and mine were definitely better - tighter groups and more consistent. I weigh every bullet and weigh the powder by hand to exact grains Makes a whole lot of difference in my world. Also hand load 45 for same reason - accuracy.

4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I've been thinking about reloading for awhile now...saving up my brass and

everyone elses empties that will let me have it...

Soon...real soon !!

5. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

Yes I am. I'm a "shoot all summer, reload all winter" kind of guy.

I reload for everything I shoot except 22 rimfire of course. I have 2 Dillon SDB's I use for pistol/revolvers, RCBS Rock Chucker single stage for rifles, and a MEC 500 JR. for 12ga.

6. Terry

Terry Junior Member

Yes: I started reloading in 1966. (shot shell only) Started reloading for rifle/handgun ammo 10 years ago. Now i have the sickness and no cure for it.:eek:

7. shaner

shaner Active Member

me me me me ! ive been reloading since 1980 hate to think of how many k's ive reloaded , my son's and i were avid shooters for years, we all shot shotgun for trap,sporting clays, and just for fun, rifles loads for 30/30 243 223 22hornet on and on, up to 45/70 which we hunted with and i shot cass long range rifle , then i got into compitive pistol shooting and 2gun action shooting and cowboy action shooting, sooooooo we are talkin aload of reloading, hahaha and still at it today. ive bought guns and never shot a factory round thru them , . its a great hobby and saved a lot of money ,,, it used to save a lot of money but cost of componets have sky rocketed its same:mad:

8. shaner

shaner Active Member

:confused:

someone heres aold fart toooo!!!!!!!:rolleyes::);) 1966?:confused:

9. Terry

Terry Junior Member

Yupa i just hope i never get the win231 mixed up with the Metamucil :eek:

10. opaww

opaww Banned

Been reloading for over 30 years

11. dondavis3

dondavis3 XD .45 Tactical

I reloaded for years.

And I know I've saved a ton in pistol / rifle / shotgun ammo.

Do you think it's still economical ??

:cool:

12. opaww

opaww Banned

I save money reloading, but spend it on new reloading equipment and/or compnets for reloading

13. jim65809

jim65809 New Member

I recently stated reloading. Bought a Dillon 550B with dies for 38/357, 40, 9mm and 45acp. I enjoy cranking out the loaded bullets. Been reloading plated and lead bullets. Haven't had any problems, but I do pay attention to what I am doing and check powder and OAL about every 15-20 reloads.

14. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

Got me beat by a little. My first handloading was 30-06 for competition (1000 yd) in 1969. Been a lot of years since then and lots of changes in hardware and powder (not so much in bullets or primers.)

15. Terry

Terry Junior Member

Big changes in the PRICE

16. Coyotenator

Coyotenator New Member

You said it.

I finally went through the primers I bought 3 yrs ago and when I went to buy more, I about fainted. They had gone from $31.99 per 1000 locally 3 yrs. ago, to $49.99 per 1000. I finally decided to by bulk online and even with the hazmat fee I still got them delivered to my door for $39.99 per 1000.
    I hope that the qty. I bought will last me a good long while.

I figure it costs me about $178 per 1000 to load practice ammo for my .40SW, so it is still cheaper than any factory ammo I could buy.
    When I finally mine my target boxes and get the lead to recast some bullets ,I figure to cut that by $100 or more.

17. shaner

shaner Active Member

iam coming to the idea that the govt has a plan to raise cost so high on componets that we cant afford to reload ,either as we watch the factory prices rise out of sight ! easy to conttrol it all

18. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa New Member

I started reloading shotgun ammo with a friend in 1967. Well, we were still in 8th grade, so does that make me an old fart too?

Pistol and rifle ammo in 1977. Started with an RCBS Rockchucker Jr. press and dies for .270 Winch. and .44 mag. Since then I have loaded .38 S&W, .38 spl, .357 mag. .41 mag. .44 mag, .45 acp. and .221 Fireball. Don't do any of the smaller calibers. Might get a .40 in the near future, but I avoid auto pistol reloading cause I lose alot of brass. I can't see wel and have a backyard range. Lost brass in the grass.

Rifles I can load for .22 Hornet .222 Rem, .223 Rem, .243 Winch. .270 Winch. .30-30 Winch. .30-06, .300 Savage, .303 British, .30 Carbine, Plan on getting 7mm-08 and .35 Rem as I have rifles for them now.

19. Happysniper1

Happysniper1 New Member

Handloader here!

Currently only in pistol calibers for everything I shoot except .22...eventually going into shotshell reloading just so i can keep my select-fire Saiga-12 well fed!

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor.

20. JimA

JimA New Member

It sure is in some handgun ammo. Rifle ammo depends on the caliber and if you want some blasting ammo or precision loads. Shotgun is harder to make up for the high price of shot.
    If you are like me, it's all part of the fun of shooting.