XD/XDM frame sizes, need info

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Mike-P, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Mike-P

Mike-P Banned

We are trying to figure out what all blue guns we need for holster making to better serve the XD community.

Can anyone tell me what guns are the same frame size? How many frame sizes are there? What's the major differences in the XD and XDM?

I had a XDM 4.5 bi tone 9mm a while back but no longer own and have nothing to compare to. We received two blue guns in for the XD and XD compact but I know there's a few more we need.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Help us help you. :cool:

2. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

I don't know how the XD and XDm compare, but I can tell you that the XDm 9mm Compact (3.8" barrel) and the XDm 45ACP Competition Series (5.25" barrel) are virtually identical from the standpoint of fitting in a holster. My 45 fits in my 9mm holster perfectly with no adjustment to the tension screw.

Slide width is 1.072". Width at disassembly lever is 1.274". Width of trigger guard is 0.593". By way of comparison, my holster measures 1.268" where the disassembly lever would land. The lever squeezes into the holster creating the tension.

Height of muzzle (not including front sight post) is 1.689", (including post) 1.866". Height from bottom of trigger guard to top of slide 2.889".

Length from end of rail to front of trigger guard is 1.950" (measured just above top groove in front of trigger guard). There is a slight slope to the front of the trigger guard. The length of the trigger guard itself is 2.000" from the outside front of the trigger guard to the front edge of the magazine release button. But the holster only covers about 1.7" of this length. The remaining 0.3" is left as clearance for accessing the mag release with the gun holstered.

The overall height of the two guns is virtually the same. From the bottom of the long magazine on the 9mm to the top of the slide (not including sight) is 5.562" vs 5.570" for the 45.

I'm sure there are many other dimensions you would need to design your holsters, but these should allow you to see if the XD frames match the XDm frames for holster purposes.

Hope this helps.

3. Mike-P

Mike-P Banned

Thanks for the info. While dimensions are good. I need more/different info since I'm doing molded kydex for this community. Our holsters will be an exact fit unlike something in the lines of a Blackhawk Serpa that is loose to begin with.

4. Mike-P

Mike-P Banned

Balota, are you saying the trigger guards between the 9 and the 45 are the same width?

Can someone that has both an XD and XDM{hopefully in different calibers} take a measurement for me?

5. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

I'll double check, but yes that is what I was saying. My 9mm and 45 are both XDm, so I can't speak to the XD dimensions. But I think you can get those dimensions from your XD blue guns.

Both trigger guards measure 0.5935 +/- 0.0005 from side to side all along the perimeter except right where the guard attaches to the body. The polymer mold allows the rounded edges at the point of attachment to minimize stresses at those points.