Xdm barrel question

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by S4LK1N, Oct 17, 2012.

1. S4LK1N

S4LK1N New Member

I have a 4.5 inch 40S&W XDM. My question is about the match barrel. I was looking at ported barrels and wanted to know if I would lose any benefits if I replaced my match barrel with a ported barrel? I know Springfield brags about the match barrel so I wanted to ask before I purchased the ported barrel since it looks like it will run me about $200. Any info is appreciated.

2. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

No you will not lose in the accuracy department by going to the ported barrel. Most aftermarket barrels are target quality, and the addition of porting will only enhance your ability to make follow up shots. And since your slide is not ported, you will have to get a longer barrel so that the ports are outside of the slide! Longer barrel equals better accuracy..usually. Unless you get your slide ported too!!

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the XD Forum S4LK1N !!

+1 on what yogi said...

4. Richey

Richey USMC - Nor*Cal

Yogi is double right boo boo!

5. dondavis3

dondavis3 XD .45 Tactical

I agree - with yogiboobooranger

or port the slide like this

[​IMG]

:cool:

6. S4LK1N

S4LK1N New Member

Where would I go to get the porting done? I don't have many if any gunsmiths in the area. I found the ported barrel online.

7. S4LK1N

S4LK1N New Member

Love the look of the ported slide!

8. dondavis3

dondavis3 XD .45 Tactical

I've had several slides done by Tood at custom Creations http://www.customizedcreationz.com/

You should call or email him for a quote

You'll probably have to ship your slide & barrel for him to see.

They do great work

:cool:

9. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

My question to you is this..Is this a carry gun? Or do you plan on using for target/hunting? Generally, the cost of porting both barrel and slide is costly, at least to me. If I were you I would just purchase the longer barrel..use it when hunting or target shooting. Then put back the factory barrel for carry. And, you get the added accuracy of the longer barrel! Me, I would get the longer barrel without porting, but threaded for silencer use and you can also get recoil/flash suppressor to screw on as well. Fun Stuff!!:)

10. S4LK1N

S4LK1N New Member

Target. Mostly. It's mainly an on going project. It is the first gun I bought so i just want to trick it out since I never plan on selling it.

11. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

Porting the barrel would make it non-compliant for some shooting sports. IDPA, for example, does not allow ported barrels. I'm not against porting, just wanted to point out another possible issue.

12. hotrodtom

hotrodtom New Member

I have not seen a ported slide on the XD. Got any pics?

13. S4LK1N

S4LK1N New Member

Look at past posts on this thread. Someone posted a pic. Looks amazing. Gives it a more aggressive look.

14. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have friends who have used Mag Na Port and are well satisfied with their work, both had XD45's ported.

15. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

i'd humbly disagree that a longer barrel in this case will increase accuracy. Shorter barrels are intrinsically more accurate then longer ones as the vibrations and harmonics will be of a higher frequency and lower amplitude. The big gain with a longer barrel on a handgun is the increased sight radius. Shoot a 4" and a 6" barreled handgun such as a revolver side by side and all things being equal the long barreled one will be more accurate, but move the front sight back to match the 4" gun and accuracy will be reduced, because it's harder for the shooter to sight as precisely.

Since the sight radius will remain the same, accuracy will not be increased, but assuming the barrel is as good and well fitted, won't be decreased. He may see a small velocity gain, but that my be neutralized by the porting.

What he WILL gain is (as stated earlier) quicker follow up shots due to quicker recoil recovery from the porting and the added weight forward. It will remain to be seen if the longer barrel with weight forward will affect reliability.

there's my long winded 2 cents worth...:p

16. xd9gunner

xd9gunner New Member

darn good advice here! unless it's a competition gun i'd do as yogi is suggesting. I've tried a few different pistols with comps in low light, kiss you night vision good bye ;) (assuming you want this for carry...)

17. Yooper

Yooper Junior Member

I,m new to the pistol world. I recently took my carry class and the instructor said not to trick out your carry gun. His reasoning was if you ever had to use it in a self defence situation the prosicuter could make it look like you were looking for trouble. Just something to think about.

18. S4LK1N

S4LK1N New Member

This is a good point. I found out the same thing when looking for a knife to carry. It won't be my carry gun. I've been looking at small revolvers for carrying purposes. The problem in having with the revolver is deciding what caliber to get.

19. Balota

Balota Sometimes lucky! Supporter

It's a valid point that the aftermath of a shooting can be as much trouble as the shooting itself. But you have to be alive for the prosecutor to matter. If something like night sights or a ported barrel enables you to survive the 2-3 seconds of chaos, it's probably worth it, at least in my opinion. As soon as I save up enough, I'm going to send one of my guns at a time back to SA to have night sights installed. I'm going to pass on the ported barrel though.

20. G+16

G+16 XDM DRIVER

Number one this is your first pistol but believe it will not be your last, pistols customized everyday to what ever extent that you want or can afford.