XDS or Shield??

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Joezilla, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Joezilla

Joezilla New Member

Okay, I have the 3" XD Mod 2 9mm in FDE. It is a super gun. Love it! However, I now feel the urge to complement it with a single stack firearm in 9mm. I currently carry the Mod 2 and the S&W J frame 642 on an alternating basis. I'd like to drop the 642 and just have it in the truck or nightstand.

Of the two, the XDS and the Shield, which would you go for and why?

I am not interested in the Glock 43 because I previously had a Glock 26 and did not "bond" with it. I "might" look at a Ruger LC9s Pro, but not sure about that.

Joe

2. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The short answer is you can't go wrong either way from a performance standpoint.
    I tried out the XDs for a while, but couldn't get used to the more aggressive grip style. I eventually moved away from my XD(M) for the same reason.
    I loved my Shield. It felt good in my hand. Zero issues. My son has it now.
    I'm not a big guy, 5'8 175lbs, with smaller hands. Glocks for the most part are kinda big for me grip-wise, but I LOVE my Glock 43. It's actually a smaller "felt" grip size than the Shield,
    Going back to what I said in the beginning, you can't go wrong from a performance perspective. Honestly, having owned and worked out with all three, IMO it comes down to what feels the best to you. For me that's where it all starts.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

My 2 cents...

I have shot all the firearms you list above...the J Frame M642 IS nice...but the heaviest.

Since you are of small stature...you may want to look ( and try before buying ) @ the S&W Shield.

Not too small ( LC9s )...not too bulky ( XDS )...reliable and a proven platform ( especially in 9mm ).

4. Joezilla

Joezilla New Member

Okay, I finally got to hold both the Shield and the XDS in 9mm today at the local Sportsman's Warehouse. They both felt good in my hand. They were both sporting the extended magazine.

The XDS was listed for $449 and the Shield was going for $349. It is on sale for another week or so. Normal Sportsman's Warehouse price on it is $399. Are Shields normally $100 cheaper cost than the XDS?

Getting more interested in making a purchase soon!!

Joe

5. Rock

Rock LEO, SWAT, USN, ARNG

Joe,

I have an XD-S 9mm 4.0" and an XD-S 45ACP 4.0". Both are a little too long to carry inside the pocket like my last EDC's, but I carry my XDs 9mm 4.0" in a Clinger Stingray IWB holster. I'm very pleased with it. I can carry it under a T-shirt against my skin with no discomfort and no sweat getting on the pistol.https://clingerholsters.com/product/stingray-strong-side-clinger-holster/

The XD-S 9mm is a joy to shoot with any of the three magazines. I think the 4.0" barrel helps with recoil, target acquisition, and offers a little more velocity. An IWB holster is much easier to access when sitting down than an Inside-The-Pocket holster and didn't take much getting used to. My son in law has an S&W M&P Shield 9mm. The trigger isn't great and it's snappy. He fired my XD-S and his face fell. We both agreed the SA is the better gun. I did get to run a few magazines through a Performance Center Shield and think it's a good choice, very comparable to the XD-S.

Another option that I can only recommend based on research, rather than actually firing one, is the Walther PPS M2. Walther's PPQ M2 has one of the best triggers on any striker fired pistol and friends have told me the PPS M2's trigger is as good. Same price range. If you get the PPS M2 LE (Limited Edition) it comes with night sights and a third magazine.

6. Joezilla

Joezilla New Member

T

Thanks Rock for the reply. I had not considered the 4" models......actually, I did not know they existed. ha.

I am not thrilled about the Walther offering though I have not tried it. I have had a Walther P22 for many years and while it is a fine shooter, it is a pain to clean. The PPS 9mm might be easier, but I have soured on Walthers for now.

I am going now to check out the Clinger holsters. Thanks for the tip.

Joe

7. Rock

Tazo, some folks like the Talon grips for the XD-S. I happen to love my stock XD-Ss just as they are, but to each their own.

http://talongungrips.com/grips/springfield/xd-s-9mm-.45.html

8. tazo2503

tazo2503 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Hey Rock, I agree with your assessment. Good lookin' out on posting the Talon link! Like you,there are indeed plenty of folks out there that don't have an issue with the XD-s and XD(m) grip style.

9. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

Guy's I really am new to the XD line of guns so I really can not comment on the difference> But I have several M&P 2 of them Shields a 9mm and a 45 acp. I really like them and you can not go wrong with them. I am not pushing them just a comment really since I have never tried the XDs or any of Springfield other pistols. Who knows I might like them better, but with my small hands the M&P line just fits me way to good.

10. Rock

Glad you like your Shields. My son in law loved his until he shot my XD-S 9mm 4.0". Then, not so much. I hope you get a chance to compare them. The OP was all about the difference.

11. ca survivor

ca survivor New Member

I vote
    #1 XDS
    #2 Shield
    I hate the Ruger specially the LC line.