185 or 230 in the XDs

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by swagbrdr, Apr 6, 2013.

1. swagbrdr

swagbrdr New Member

Hey folks,

I tried some of my Kimber 230 loads in my XDS and I wasn't too pleased. They shoot great out of the Kimber, not so great out of the XDs.

My Kimber loads:
    Various cases
    WLP
    5.3 gn of W231
    Hornady XTP 230 gn

When I first tested my new pistol, I had some Win 185 gn silvertips (factory ammo) that fired great with no hiccups.

I was curious what everyone else was having luck with overall.

Thanks in advance!

2. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

What issues are you having that causes you to be displeased?

3. swagbrdr

swagbrdr New Member

I've had some feeding issues with the 230 XTPs. And flat out, just not as accurate as the 185 factory ammo I tried.

4. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

That would be puzzling to me about the feeding problem. I use the 200 grain XTP bullet (same profile) seated to a O.L. of 1.220" and it feeds flawlessly.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2013
  5. rsfrid

rsfrid New Member

My 230 grain handloads feed flawlessly in my XDs. Just saying.

6. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

Also makes me curious as this afternoon (just to compare) I ran 10 Federal Hydroshock 230 gr rds and they were feeding thru the XDs with no problems.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  7. swagbrdr

swagbrdr New Member

I did notice there were less feeding issues the more I fired it. Break in time?

8. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

Very well possible, run some more thru it and let us know.

9. Yooper

Yooper Junior Member

I run reloads through mine with no problem, I use 230 gr X-Tream copper plated hollow points with a light crimp.

10. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I don't reload, don't fire other people's reloads, only use USA factory ammo in my SD handguns and have never had a problem with my XD's.

11. jayson

jayson New Member

I dont have a XDs but my XDM .45 seems to like power pistol powder WAY WAY better then win 231 with the 230 XTPs !!! Bullseye powder is GREAT for 185s and 200s. OAL is VERY important too.

Just a little long and they will not function properly. I have found a little long to mean almost anything over min OAL

I have win 231 around but after using power pistol and bullseye, The results spoke for them self and win 231 is now only a "back up". it is pretty universal and can do all weights of both 9mm and 45 so its a good back up to have laying around