Ammo shortages

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by shooter55, Jan 23, 2013.

1. shooter55

shooter55 New Member

Any one have any Est. of how long the ammo shortage will last this time?

2. warbird1

warbird1 New Member

Depends on how long the people out here keep buying everything that hits the shelves like it's not going to be made tomorrow. In short...hoarders are the cause...plain and simple. We the people will determine how long it lasts.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

True...when the price of gasoline goes up to a point where people decide to cut back on driving

and stop buying gasoline at higher prices, the demand goes down, and so does the price. Ever wonder why

gas goes up at certain times every year...because "they" know they got us over a barrel... like during the start

of summer vacations and the Christmas holidays...when we just have to drive. Same with summer rentals down the shore...

prices drop dramatically in September, when most vacationers go back to work...kids to school. I love it down the shore

in Sept & Oct...:D

4. bowserb

bowserb New Member

My local Walmart stores have been short supplied since September, and mostly out of stock of .45acp and 5.56mm since the election. Since Sandy Hook, and the gun ban threats, we have a million or so more gun owners. When the weather gets warmer up north, they will be out shooting their new guns. Homeland Security has bought 1.2 billion handgun rounds. My point? There is a lot of demand for ammo.

Then, the future of guns and ammo in the U.S. is uncertain, so no ammo manufacturer is going to invest in plant expansion. One of the libs wants is to ban import of guns and ammo. Result? No change, or reduction, in supply.

My conclusion? We'll never see ammo at the prices of a year ago again. That was when I began stocking up, and almost every purchase I have made since then was at a higher price. Now I have 1,500 rounds of 45 and 2,500 of 5.56...and I'm hesitant to use it. I've thought about reloading, but the three ranges nearby do not allow picking up your brass--for safety reasons (wink wink).

Incredible as it seems, 2012 may end up being the "good old days" of ammo prices.

5. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member

My friend went to several local stores including a huge sporting store and .223, 5.56 and 7.28 is gone, empty shelves.

6. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

223/5.56 is gone unless you have some type of trading post like I have here in Va (running about a $1 a round) and I just paid (at LGS) $25 a box for plinking 38spl with a limit of 2 boxes, but they had ammo. I'm GTG on 9mm, 45acp is so so, I do know where to get 9x18mak fairly cheap though.

7. bowserb

bowserb New Member

I just received a notice that Natchez Shooter Supplies has handgun and AR ammo in stock. Last time I got one of those, I logged on, ordered, and then went back after thinking about it, to order more, and they were out. So if you're interested, you should probably hurry.
    http://www.natchezss.com/

8. RJB

RJB New Member

this ammo prices are insane
    really Blazer 45 fro 21 bucks

9. threetango

threetango Moderator Moderator

Saw this coming a good while back, so I took advantage of supply and demand and got my inventory expanded.
    I know many of you did the same.

Sorry for those who didn't but I kinda feel like Jim Stafford "sittin on that sack of ammo" :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr3TkOGgeJY&feature=fvwp&NR=1[/ame]

10. Colt45

Colt45 New Member

Making an edit on my last post: 223/5.56 is NOT going for a $! a round in Va. more like $0.80 a round and what kills me is some are listing TULA 223 for the same price:confused:

11. BlynnXD9

BlynnXD9 CrashTestVictim

even a month later, i just found that 'WILDWOOD" tune... man, i needed a good laugh.. thanks Threetango.:cool::D

12. BlynnXD9

BlynnXD9 CrashTestVictim

Ammo in Maine kinda hard to come by......unless you know someone who knows someone.......like i do..hehehe:cool:wally world has a few boxes of .308 @ $21- $34/ box, and occasionally a couple boxes of .45, maybe like 2 boxes of 9mm.... Cabelas out of everything except $55/ box .308...............

Anyone wonderin' why Homeland Security just bought 1.2 BILLION rounds????
    Just curious....:confused::eek:

13. wmruss

wmruss New Member

Glad I found my 9mm Remington Luger 115 gr. for $11.99 for a box of 50,,bought all they had,,and got some 22 rounds very cheap as well $16.99 for 525 in a Remington as well,,, I also agree that people are making this happen,,,Im not a hoarder even though I am a shooting fanatic,,I just make calls and wait till the price is right then buy,,,buy,,,buy. Good luck in everyones search,,SHOOT STRAIGHT AND TRUE AND MAY UR ENEMIES BE FEW