XD Forums banner

Concealed Carry opinions wanted

11K views 43 replies 22 participants last post by  CallMaker 
#1 ·
I currently carry a Glock 26 or Glock 17 (both are 9mm) depending on what I'm wearing. I've seen the XDs and am considering trading one of my glocks for an XD. The question is which model? Caliber? I could stay 9mm or go 45 (the reason I'm saying 9mm or 45 is that I have a 1911 so 45 would be common to what I have).

I'm not opposed to other calibers. Just wanting user input to share their experiences.
Jer

#3 ·
My EDC has been a XD40 SC for the past few years and it has been flawless with 6K plus rounds thru it. Would I buy a XDS, yes, in a heartbeat.

#5 ·
My EDC is a Ruger LC9, so my opinion is shoot what you feel comfortable shooting. Accuracy makes up for caliber any day of the week..

My XD40sc comes along for the ride some days as well, but for every day, I can't get past the smallness and negligible weight of the LC9

#8 ·
I carried a G-17 for years and replaced it with an XDSC40 as my EDC.
It was one of the best decisions I have ever made.I do like the XDM3.8 also, it is almost the same size and the added firepower is nice.The XD-S just doesn't fit my hand as well as the XD or the XDM, but it is even lighter and thinner which is a plus for CC.

#9 · (Edited)
I agree with what has been said already about carry what you feel comfortable with. Make sure its reliable with the type of ammo you are going to use. I always carried a snub 38 or 44 special when off duty because of weight and they are easy to hide. A friend of mine was off duty eating at a waffle house with his wife and they had some issues with a group of teens. Well long story short, words were exchanged and my friend and his wife walked out to their car. Well the group followed and a gun was displayed. My friend opened fire striking the armed offender in the arm. Well that 38 special did not make the guy twitch. My friend fired all five (5) shots with only one that connected with the arm. So there he was with an empty gun with the offender with a hicap 9mm. The offender continued to fire while buddy dove for cover with his wife. Long story short... he was shot in the stomach and she was shot in the foot. Everyone lived and have no disabilities thank god.... now thugs got away but that's not the point here. The point is I thought about what happened to him and his wife and having a five shot ain't going to cut it. I now carry a xd9 full size with hornady critical DUTY ammo and two extra mags. I carry it consealed with shorts and a button down shirt in the summer no problem in a outside the waist band holster with a FBI cant of 15 degrees. You just need to dress around the weapon and you can make it work. Buy a good leather holster because they hug your body and a HIGH quality belt. The belt is the key to keep the weapon tight on your body. As far as glock vs XD they are both great. I'm issued a glock for duty. I personally don't like the trigger. So I carry a xd9 off duty. Wife has a xd9 subcompact. Now 45 vs. 9mm OMG let the popcorn cooking start.... I like more ammo (see above) vs. Big bullet. Just pick a duty type hollow point that cycles your gun 100 percent no matter what. If the 45 won't cycle hollows well carry ball... I hope this helps...

#10 ·
#11 ·
I've started doing research and found some disparaging reviews on the XDS. Some items listed as a concern:
1. Ejection is sometimes straight back into your face.
2. Casing scratch up the slide.

Are these justified concerns for the XDS?

Thank you for the comments and opinions so far. I'll look at the other weapons as well.
Jer

#12 ·
I've started doing research and found some disparaging reviews on the XDS. Some items listed as a concern:

Thank you for the comments and opinions so far. I'll look at the other weapons as well.
Jer
IMHO:
#1. can happen with just about any type of pistol.
#2. Havent read any thing about this. Please keep us posted on this.

#15 ·
My EDC is a Ruger SR9c mainly because its a better fit and easier to conceal with a larger frame person like myself ISW, IMO, but with winter coming on I'm planning on carrying my XD40 in the small of the back on the outside. I prefer the 9mm for EDC for the sole fact that I have a much quicker and more controllable double tap than with the larger cal.

#16 · (Edited)
I had failure to eject trouble with both a Glock 26 and 17 (Gen 4's)with the old style 336 ejector. Once they were replaced by Glock (Glock will only allow a Glock Armorer to replace the parts-if you want them free from Glock that is). A thousand rounds later in both guns and so far no failures to eject.

After 7,000 rounds through my XDm 45 never had any problems at all. It's been a great gun although way too big to effectively conceal carry. Also no problems with the M&P Shield in both 9mm and 40 cal.

#19 ·
What ever caliber you shoot best with and feel most comfortable is what you should carry. Personally, my daily concealed carry is a G-27 with 2 round extended mag. baseplate, and that works for me very well. Like the added little stopping power of the .40 ca. and the 2 extra rounds in the mag. still able to conceal very well. Also, carry and extra mag. "always".

#20 ·
We think the first question is "why?". You already own & carry 2 very capable firearms. The secret to any EDC is a comfortable holster. Our parent company ShoothouseUSA recommends the Theis Holster. With the impending election 9mm has less tendancy to run out whereas 380/40/45 all but disapeared for months 4 yrs ago. If the reason for trading is slimmer profile, then the XDs is certainly a viable (favorable) option but compare/contrast along side the M&P Shield.

#21 ·

Jer
The range (ShoothouseUSA) has had several XDs' both on the range & in classes and have not experienced EITHER of these. Our empirical evidence is contrary to both in that the XDs performed as touted.

#23 ·
We think the first question is "why?". You already own & carry 2 very capable firearms. The secret to any EDC is a comfortable holster. Our parent company ShoothouseUSA recommends the Theis Holster. With the impending election 9mm has less tendancy to run out whereas 380/40/45 all but disapeared for months 4 yrs ago. If the reason for trading is slimmer profile, then the XDs is certainly a viable (favorable) option but compare/contrast along side the M&P Shield.
I know I'm reviving an older thread, but I couldn't help replying to this one. 4 years ago the calibers you mention did all but disappear. This time around 9mm seems to be the endangered species. Grrr... Just frustrating when you're looking for ammo and can't find any for an IDPA match.

#26 ·
oooh nice .. I have carried my G27 .40 for years / i have the colt defender plus .45 / on the hunt for the xd sub compact .40

now i see xds .45 .. drools
All of my numerous other pistols are hiding in a dark place.

Even my Sig Seal version has gone underground because of my XDS 45. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.