First time out with an XD-9 Tactical

Discussion in 'General Firearm Forum' started by Ninja1310, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Ninja1310

Ninja1310 New Member

Hey guys, I'd like to start this off by saying that I love the feel and fit of this in my hand. Nothing else felt quite the same so I decided it should be mine. Anyway, I went to the range yesterday with it for the first time, no cleaning, just straight out of the box to the range.

After about 100 rounds this thing was giving me problems. FTE's mostly, and several times it failed to lock back after the last round was fired. I am, at this point, attributing these problems to either dirty ammo(Independence brand), or the gun just needing broken in.

My friend thinks its just the recoil spring being too strong and not allowing the slide to push back far enough. I have a video if any would be interested in seeing.

So I suppose part of this range report was for me to vent a little, and also get your opinions on what could be the cause. Any and all information will be helpful as I'm still pretty new to owning a firearm!

2. CallMaker

CallMaker Guest

On the FTE problem I would not suspect the recoil spring. If you are new to shooting I would be looking for a competent coach/instructor to review your shooting style. That way you will not start out with less than desirable shooting habits.

On the failure to lock the slide back you might check your thumb position on your shooting hand.

Grip and shooting form can be the source of firearm malfunctions.

3. Ninja1310

Ninja1310 New Member

I've been trying to get into a class but every one that's near me gets filled up before I can make it out to the LGS. I don't think my thumb keeping the lock down while I'm shooting but I will keep an eye out for it next time I'm at the range.

Thanks for the insight!

4. wmruss

wmruss New Member

Some advice...always clean ur gun even if its new out of the box,,and yes good instructions are important. If you are a new shooter go to google and type in SHOOTING TECHNIQUES,,very helpful I assure you. Good luck,,if worst comes to worse,,,SA,,has a lifetime warranty.

5. Ninja1310

Ninja1310 New Member

I've cleaned it out well and I think I'm gonna head to the range tomorrow and work on some stuff. I just got done watching a bunch of videos and read up on a lot of finger discipline things. I haven't been able to activate my warranty yet, apparently SA's site is down. At least when I last checked it was.