XD Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I'm proud of myself. She's proud of herself. I'm trying not to compliment her to much though. I know that sounds weird, but I've found the current generation coming into the work place needs constant approval and I want her approval to stem from her own personal sense of satisfaction and not to be dependent on others acceptance.

I have some pretty lofty parenting goals.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,136 Posts
Not really Austin...your goals, and the goals you will teach your kids are spot on !!

I don't do a good job to hear accolades...I do a good job for the self satisfaction of knowing

my name, expertise, and craftmanship are ingrained in whatever I accomplish. I rarely look to anyone for approval...

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And you've done well.

I hope my children appreciate it when they are older. I had to punish my daughter last night. She's still upset with me. She was crying as she was going to bed, I told her to "knock that off and give me love" she ran over to me crying gave me a big hug and kiss and went to bed upset.

This morning she apologized for not listening to her mother (the reason she got in trouble) and said she will do better. I believe she will.

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I could have done better. Sometimes I think talking to her like a tiny adult is going to cause issues as she talks to me in the same way.

It's almost like we're equals but I pay for everything and can tell her what to do. Oh and she's five.

·
Sometimes lucky!
281 Posts
Actually talking to her like a tiny adult helps a lot. Vocabulary (assuming you watch yours! :D), self-respect, maturity... Kids often live up (or down) to your expectations. You demonstrate higher expectations by treating her as something other than "just a kid".

·
Premium Member
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Actually talking to her like a tiny adult helps a lot. Vocabulary (assuming you watch yours! :D), self-respect, maturity... Kids often live up (or down) to your expectations. You demonstrate higher expectations by treating her as something other than "just a kid".
That's were I fail. I'm foul mouthed, but she's allowed to curse kind of sort of. She can say "snap" when she's upset.

"Dad I'm so snap upset with you", things like that in order to express a higher level of displeasure in her everyday life.

Like I've said, I believe in limiting and teaching proper use of things, not just saying no.

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
My daughter is 7, she cleans up after herself, helps clean up after her 4 year old brother, and I offer her jobs to do through the summer to earn a dollar or two. Stuff like helping wash the boat, car, or camper or helping me on whatever project I am doing at the time.

She saves that money all year so that she can buy a build a bear (which they just did on sunday) or whatever else she would like to buy herself between birthday and Christmas presents

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
That's were I fail. I'm foul mouthed, but she's allowed to curse kind of sort of. She can say "snap" when she's upset.

"Dad I'm so snap upset with you", things like that in order to express a higher level of displeasure in her everyday life.

Like I've said, I believe in limiting and teaching proper use of things, not just saying no.
That's funny, reminds me of what I used to say about my nieces and nephews before I had kids. I used to say if they use the curse word correctly its all good :D

Now that I have kids, and have to worry about the phone call from school, I've changed my thinking :eek:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts